Tajik-English/English-Tajik Dictionary & Phrasebook Paperback – Nov 1 1998
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
To be fair to the authors there was nothing else available at the time they published this and the situation in Tajikistan was one of violent transition. Tajikistan has become much more stable now and there are now a few more resources available in English. Although there was discussion in Tajikistan at one time aobut making either Persian or Roman script official alphabets, Cyrillic is still the oficiall alphabet and the one used by Tajiks 99% of the time. To be really useful a Tajik-English phrase book should use Cyrillic, which this one does not.
The most effective method I found for learning the Tajik language was making Tajik friends who spoke a little English and learning to speak Tajik from them.
I also got a lot of help from two books published by STAR:
The Official Beginner's Guide to Tajiki, by Azim Baizoyev
Standard Tajik-English Dictionary, by Randall and Rochelle Olsen
Most recent customer reviews
Despite a degree in Linguistics, I knew almost nothing about Tajik. This inexpensive little gem opened the world of Tajik and the Tajiks with its concise overview of basic... Read morePublished on Oct. 1 2001 by Patricia Kelly
This phrasebook is a really good introduction to Tajik as it is actually spoken. The decision of the authors to present the language in the Roman alphabet reflects the strong... Read morePublished on Sept. 27 2001
Absolutely useless. Does not even use the alphabet of the country to which it refers, even though most visitors to Tajikistan would probably know some Russian. Read morePublished on Aug. 14 2001
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Books > Education & Reference > Etiquette > Conversation
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Persian & Farsi
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Polyglot
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Dictionaries; Polyglot
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Miscellaneous
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching