Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 14, 2011
A very harrowing series of vignettes in the progress of a terrible disease. The other book I read about Alzheimer's, Still Alice by Lisa Genova, doesn't take us all the way to the end and the tragic wasting away and death of a human being, so that part of this book was really rough. Tangles is told from the point of view of a family member left behind, the afflicted's daughter. Still Alice is told in first person format from the afflicted's point of view and is a very different experience, albeit still a terrifying one.

The "graphic" component of this story was mildly effective, I thought. The art style doesn't blow me away, but Leavitt has a talent for expressing ideas and emotions in images that did augment the story. Her facility with cartoony faces and bodies is limited--I think she is a writer first and illustrator a somewhat distant second. It is still a work that I can't imagine as narrative only, so for that reason I consider it a successful graphic non-fiction work.

This is not an easy read or even much of a coherent narrative. It is a series of illustrated events, random notes and memories and a loving portrait of the author's mother, all of which tells a real story with moments of humour and lots of sadness. Bring Kleenex.
on March 6, 2012
Tangles is equal parts celebration and lament, as much an anatomy of Alzheimer's as it is an intensely moving matremoir. Reading Tangles had me reliving many of the details of my mom's last years, and remembering the frustrations, the moments of fierce anger, the depressions, the sparks of humour, the exhaustion, and the closeness and caring which her slow regression and death brought to our family.

Alzheimer's is a disease of diminishment and indignity, and part of Sarah Leavitt's triumph is that she doesn't shy away from showing the darker parts of the process. Nor does she hide the dark snakes of depression, fear, and pettiness which attack her and other family members. She also shows how the disease often makes small children of patient and caregivers, and the immediacy and cartoon quality of her graphic narrative medium work wonderfully to reach the child in us all. Her telling has a vulnerability and a visceral impact which written text alone could not achieve.

As a graphic memoir, and one in which recognition and acceptance of the author's lesbian identity play a part, Leavitts book will inevitably be compared to Alison Bechdel's Fun Home. Midge Leavitt, though, was much more nurturing, much less conflicted than Bruce Bechdel; and consequently Tangles is much less dark than Fun Home. Both books pay tribute, but where Bechdel remembers her father to map herself Leavitt remembers her mother to grow and nurture. Unsurprisingly, both books can be seen as mirroring the respective parent described. Whereas the art and language of Fun Home is carefully crafted and highly polished, Tangles is rougher and looser in style, a garden, "tangled, but with spots of brightness."

Tangles also bears comparison to important Alzheimer's books such as John Bayley's Elegy for Iris, Lisa Genova's Still Alice, and Michael Ignatieff's Scar Tissue. Like these books, it is a good story well told. Like these books, it belongs in every library, not just in those of Alzheimer's afflicted families.
on June 18, 2014
I found this impossible to put down, and I did tear up a few times. The pictures help explain the words. BUT, unlike with other graphic memoirs they don't really add a huge amount. You could just read the words and get pretty much the same thing out of the book as you do with the drawings. I am not a huge consumer of graphic memoirs but the other memorable one I read was Fun Home and it blew me away- the pictures in that case were about a third to a half of the message. I'd read a page, and then scour the drawings for every detail, sometimes even laughing or feeling sad purely because of something the drawings had revealed. With Tangles I was done with the pictures as soon as I'd finished reading the words, with a couple minor exceptions. There's not any additional information in the art. The art is simple and straightforward.
I think the art enhances the story by making the reader pause and reflect in a way they wouldn't if it was text-only. The drawings help express mood. It's definitely better WITH the drawings, and they're good drawings.
I guess my point is that I can't help feeling there was the potential for the art to add a lot more to the story than it did, which is why I am giving only three stars.
I haven't been touched by dementia of any kind so I can't speak about what this book could offer a family just discovering their own beloved relative has Alzheimer's. I imagine it might be helpful but I really don't know. Could I say it opened my mind? Meh... I guess not. My mind didn't really need to be opened on this subject. I always thought such illnesses were the utmost in tragedy, and my heart went out to the real person behind the crumbling ruins, and the scared childlike person they'd become, and their suffering relatives and friends, losing them slowly a bit at a time. I didn't learn anything new from this book. Perhaps if you have a kid who thinks senility is funny, this could help them learn compassion. If you're already compassionate, I don't know if it will really blow your mind or anything. If you like sad stories, this is a touching tale. If you have issues with your parents, this might move you, and make you want to reach out to them and make the most of the time you have left. Maybe I just wasn't the target audience. I can only speak for myself, though, and to me it was a little disappointing... likely in part because I had bought it due to a stellar review and was really expecting to have my socks knocked off.
I sound a lot more negative than I meant to be. It really is a worthwhile read! I just want you to avoid my problem (of expecting too much and then being let down) and be aware of what you hope to get out of reading this.
At the very least, readers of this book are providing an ear for the author to express her pain and that has a lot of value. I really did feel like I was getting a peek inside her life.
on April 16, 2015
I am grateful to the author for writing and illustrating this book. It rang true for me. While reading it I thought back to my own experience and was transported back to having my mom and the shared feeling of wanting to "soak her up when she was alive" (Sarah Leavitt).
Some remembered details made me laugh or become sad. So many experiences I had already forgotten. I thank the author for managing to make the book light enough given the subject matter, and for showing life as it is.
I was looking to read of a shared experience and not to have my heart reshattered, or to be educated. Just the right amount of highs and lows. This book delivered for me.
on September 29, 2014
Too deep for me. Nice art though.
on July 15, 2011
Putting the story in cartoon form was definitely an interesting way to present the story. But I didn't like that method. I found it difficult to read.

And I'm really not clear as to how the reporting of the author's sexual activities advances the understanding of how the Alzheimer's Disease in her mother progressed.

The story of the disease's progression was quite fascinating.

But on the whole, I was disappointed.