- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps Paperback – Jun 28 2010
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Josh Clark is a writer, designer, and developer who helps creative people clear technical hassles to share their ideas with the world. As speaker and consultant, he has helped scores of companies build effective websites and mobile apps. When he's not writing or speaking about clever design and humane software, he's building it. Josh is the creator of Big Medium, friendly software that actually makes it fun to manage a website. He's also the author of Best iPhone Apps and iWork '09: The Missing Manual, both published by O'Reilly. Before the rise of the Web, Josh worked on a slew of national PBS programs at WGBH-TV in Boston. He shared his three words of Russian with Mikhail Gorbachev, strolled the ranch with Nancy Reagan, hobnobbed with Rockefellers, and wrote trivia questions for a primetime game show. Now Josh makes words and spins code at his hypertext laboratory globalmoxie.com. He divides his time between Providence, Rhode Island, and Paris, France.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This is an interface, big-idea, that's why that design works book, not a coding book. Nor is it a "how to market your iPhone app book". That said, the interviews alone with designers of big important iPhone apps about how they really designed those apps is worth the price many times over.
Warning: you will probably spend more on buying apps Josh uses as examples of what he is talking about than you will on the book itself - I guess the skills he developed writing his last book, "Best Iphone Apps: The Guide for Discriminating Downloaders", gave him five star ability for picking great to awesome apps.
Also, while I almost never buy anymore actual paper books, this one is worth it - the color, gloss stock, painstaking layout and content structure would not be done justice as a .pdf.
I could write a longer review, but I'd rather go back to reading, re-reading, mulling and thinking about the what Josh covered in this book. Can't wait for the iPad book!
I've been reading iOS/UX-focused blogs for a while (Marco, Daring Fireball, Ignore the Code, Dustin Curtis) and I've got a lot of views at various aspects of what makes iOS so wonderful, but this book is closer to giving me the complete picture, rather than just glimpses of various aspects.
Clearly, Josh understands iOS at a deep, deep level. You wouldn't expect this level of understanding from anyone except perhaps the designers of iOS and iPhone.
You'll find insightful comments on various topics like:
- various navigation paradigms and the advantages and disadvantages of each
- how to design your app icon
- all the major aspects of iOS, like alerts and notifications
- product definition
- when to launch other apps from within yours and when not to.
I plan to read this book again after a while. It's that good.
What it does, and excellently, is teach you the design. It gets you into the right mindset for creating a successful iphone app. It teaches you the elements of design and art that go into a truly successful iphone app. I haven't read it all the way through yet, but the chapters are excellently formatted. The one I'm on teaches you the size of people's fingers and how that related to where buttons should be placed on the screen and how much space they should allot. If you want to create a beautiful, successful iphone app, this is the book to buy.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design > Electronic Documents
- Books > Computers & Technology > Mobile Phones, Tablets & E-Readers > Handheld & Mobile Devices
- Books > Computers & Technology > Mobile Phones, Tablets & E-Readers > Programming & App Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Object-Oriented Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Website Architecture & Usability
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Object-Oriented Software Design
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Software Design & Engineering