I do some 20-30 one week presentations a year. I show in the screen Powerpoints, PDFs, and CAD drawings. After trying a few remote presentation pointers (even big names as MS or Logitech), none had the full functionality I needed, and some missing feature would make me go near the laptop and do the thing I needed with the good old mouse, thus losing momentum in the presentation (if you do these things, you know what I mean).
A while ago I bought the Targus AMP02US, and leaving aside its 1960 look, the not so great buttons, and that the presentation button would send only the F5 command to Powerpoint (thus starting the presentation always at slide 1), it had all I needed: Mouse control, laser, next and previous slide and more. It was also difficult to do drag and drop keeping the left click down and use the mouse stick to move the cursor at the same time, plus the laser button couldn't be smaller. But all in all it was better than any previous pointer I had used.
Then I upgraded to the AMP09US. It felt like a dream come true. All these problems where solved and a few bonuses were added:
- The look is slick and elegant.
- The receiver goes stored in the same body of the pointer, no need for a bag, no loose parts.
- There is room for a spare battery in the pointer, so you can change it at once if you run out of juice in a middle of a presentation.
- The presentation button sends now the right command to Powerpoint: Shift+F5, thus starting the presentation at the slide you've got in the screen.
- The laser button is a big handy one, and is the same that moves the mouse cursor.
- When in mouse mode, if you press the mouse stick (or laser button) it works as left click, thus making the drag and drop work like a dream.
- The lightened buttons are white for next/prev slide, and green around the laser/mouse button.
- In pointer mode (the central stick is the laser, the side buttons are next/prev slide) you can lock the non-essential buttons (then a discrete red light goes on), avoiding accidental commands.
- In mouse mode (the central button is moves the cursor, and if pressed does left click, the side buttons are mouse left/right) the light is always green.
- The color change is nice, because you look at the pointer and can see if you are in mouse/pointer -locked- mode, then hit the right command without much thinking.
- Plus all the little features like screen darkening, presentation on/off, and multimedia volume.
- In mouse mode the presentation on/off and screen darkening buttons will open MyPC folder, and hit the Windows Start Button. So you can access or run anything in the PC.
- And for those who still stick to their Macs, it has a Mac mode too.
If you are slightly dissatisfied with your current pointer, feeling that you still get the job done but something is missing, that the pointer could be a bit more comfortable, this one is the way to go. I couldn't be happier with this product. That's THE pointer. By the way, I've bought it at the airport for $80, because the nice look and specs looked promising; it really delivers all it says.
If you run presentations professionally, go for it, it is a worthy investment.