A culinary survey of the superb foods of Canada.
Attracted by abundant natural resources -- rich farmland, great forests, wide-ranging prairies, coastal waters and fresh-water lakes -- people from all over the world immigrate to Canada. The food traditions brought by every generation's newcomers and the country's great resources merge to form a unique cuisine that is distinctly Canadian. In A Taste of Canada, stories and anecdotes accompany recipes from each corner of the country to capture Canada's ethnic and regional diversity.
The book's easy-to-follow format features classic delicacies enhanced with exciting new ingredients to reflect the cosmopolitan and multicultural Canadian palate. Some examples are:
- Wild rice pancakes with sour cream and caviar
- Chipotle maple baked beans
- Wine-pickled salmon
- Parsnip and pear soup with five-spice powder
- Pumpkin bisque with cranberry oil swirl
- Chorizo and scrambled egg breakfast pizza
- Slow-roasted pork shoulder with spiced apple relish
- Maple-glazed grilled peameal bacon
- Apricot coffee cake with butterscotch walnut filling
- Blueberry bread pudding with whiskey sauce.
A Taste of Canada showcases Canadian culinary specialties, from tourtière and classic fish chowders to butter tarts and Nanaimo bars.