- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Sams Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24 Hours (2nd Edition) Paperback – Mar 15 2002
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The vast majority of users utilize the Korn Shell or some variant of the Bourne Shell, such as bash.Sams Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24 Hourscovers these shells. It begins with a generalized tutorial of Unix and tools and then moves into detailed coverage of shell programming.Sams Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24 Hoursis one of the best values because it provides readers with more information for less money. This book uses the effective and proven'Teach Yourself'format to instruct the reader how to make their shell work for them. It covers useful information including: managing input/output, manipulating text filters, understanding and debugging shell scripts, creating and utilizing variables, tools, processes, and customizing the shell.
Sams Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24 Hoursis a tutorial aimed at assisting Unix and Linux users to get optimal performance out of their operating system. It shows them how to take control of their systems and work efficiently by har4nessing the power of the shell to solve common problems.
About the Author
SRIRANGA VEERARAGHAVAN is a material scientist by training and a software engineer by trade. He has several years of software development experience in C, Java, Perl, and Bourne Shell and has contributed to several books, including Solaris 8: Complete Reference, UNIX Unleashed and Special Edition Using UNIX. Sriranga graduated from the University of California at Berkeley in 1997 and is presently pursuing further studies. He is currently employed in the Server Appliance group at Sun Microsystems, Inc. Before joining Sun, Sriranga was employed at Cisco Systems, Inc. Among other interests, Sriranga enjoys mountain biking, classical music, and playing Marathon with his brother Srivathsa. Sriranga can be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
By the end of the book --- you really haven't learned more than you could from any of the various "bible or unleashed" books ... except this is non-distro specifac .....
Waste of Money
P.S. : No, I am not a nerd.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I tried a couple of other books and then was lucky enough to findthis one.
Hey, it's short, it's clear and it has a few questions at the end of every chapter that let you test your knowledge. It's also organized so you can learn one thing at a time, which is different from others that throw lots of things at you, but don't explain them all till later.
Anyway, forget the rest. Just get this little, inexpensive book. It will get you up to speed fast.
This is the way it should be done. Definitely appreciated the emphasis on the bash shell and the inclusion of other useful tools. Pleasantly surprised by the depth and quality of the examples...this is one of the best book in SAMS catalog. Author also had a chapter or two in Kao's Special Edition Using Unix, which was a solid book even though it is a major doorstop in size. Looking forward to more titles from Veeraraghavan.
It looks like the quality of non-O'Reilly titles may be improving after all...
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Software Engineering > Information Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Linux
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Unix > Shell
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Computer Science
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Operating Systems
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages