- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Teaching English Spelling: A Practical Guide Paperback – Mar 13 2000
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'Surely the most comprehensive collection of classroom activities for practising common spelling patterns. The variety of task types is impressive.' EL Gazette
A wealth of activities for practising spelling for second language, foreign language teaching and first language contexts.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
For adult ESL learners, however, the book still leaves gaps. It relies on students being able to distinguish between sounds that many non-native speakers have trouble hearing in order to make spelling decisions. In particular, the short/long vowel distinction (which is a central component of almost every chapter) is notoriously difficult for learners whose native tongue is Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, or even Spanish. The /e/ sound (as in "rate") and /æ/ as in "rat" might seem obviously different for us, but for many of my students, perceiving that difference, let alone producing it, remains an issue. It seems that, in order to make full use of this book in my setting as an adult ESL teacher, pronunciation exercises might need to be a necessary prerequisite.
Still, for native speakers, this book will provide a great deal of useful information, and for teachers of all levels, it will provide some semblance of order in what is otherwise a chaotic, idiosyncratic spelling system. Highly recommended.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > English as a Second Language
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching > Instruction Methods
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching > Pedagogy
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Grammar
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Spelling
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Education
- Books > Textbooks > English As a Second Language
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages