The Adventures of Superman: The Complete First Season
|Price:||CDN$ 15.00 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Adventures of Superman, The Complete First Season (DVD)
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Warner Brothers has been dropping the ball alot with poor quality control. Apparently they will replace the disc if requested.
The discs are doubled up on top of each other instead of separate cases.
The content is great. Episodes look good and the extras are a pleasant surprise.
But it was all ruined by lack of quality control at Warner Brothers.
I then called the customer service number about my problem. She asked me where I got this information I told her from Amazon. The agent, who wasn't really helpfull, told me that Amazon is a competitor (although they sell their product) and I would have to return the set to them for a refund.
She told me she couldn't help me and that I would have to return the set. But I don't want to return the set, I just want the corrected DVD to complete the set.
Anyway I'm back where I started, Warner doesn't seem to give a damn and I'm stuck with a defective product.
I don't know what to do at this point except boycotting them completely.
Just a word out to those others with defective sets. It's a marvelous collection but Warners will take its sweet time to replace the defective disc.
Don't order this set until this problem is fixed. The actual content is great, if not for this problem I'd give it 5 stars.
Warner has done a decent job with the first season, providing all 26 season one episodes spread out over 5 single sided discs with nice artwork and packaging. The video and sound quality varies from episode to episode as the episodes do contain dirt, debris and scratches, especially in the stock footage segments. I had read that initially this release contained defective discs; fortunately I haven't encountered any problems with my set.
We all now the saying It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman! Now we can enjoy the man of steel when ever we want.
- Retrospective documentary -- "Adventures of Superman: From Inkwell to Backlot" featuring Jack Larson, Leonard Maltin, and others
- 1951 theatrical feature Superman and the Mole Men, later to be televised as the two-part "The Unknown People"
- Pony Express Days: Vintage Warner Bros. historical short starring George Reeves
- Commentary on four key episodes by Superman chroniclers Gary H.Read more ›
Yes, purists will say that Reeves was not the first Superman on screen or on television, but the truth is that for a generation of people, Reeves was the image and embodiment of Superman. Whenever others take the screen (the late, great Christopher Reeve - no relation despite the similarity in name) or television (Dean Cain and Tom Welling have done a good job with their modified forms of the Superman legend), it is invariably with George Reeves that the new Supermen are being compared.
Superman comics set the stage, and people filled in the colour as they will from these black-and-white broadcasts. There is something classic about the way they look, including the old placing scenes around the Daily Planet building and Los Angeles rather than New York City being the 'Metropolis' of old.
There are twenty-six episodes, the entirety of the first season, with uncut episodes and extras that include the opening and closing credits in full and other fun things to have. Phyllis Coates play Lois Lane in this series - she is much more tough and no nonsense than will be her replacement for the subsequent shows in the series, Noel Neill. However, the other regulars are already here: Jack Larson as Jimmy Olsen and John Hamilton as 'Great Caesar's Ghost!' and 'Don't call me chief!' Perry White.
I was born a dozen years after this series started, and half a dozen years after the death of George Reeves, but I still remember watching this series religiously as a child growing up in the sixties and seventies.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
Gift for my Dad for Christmas, so maybe he'll stop putting it on t.v. when my sister and I are around.
There's a movie included in the first season.
The first season of Superman (1951) is the most "adult" of the series, being more serious and a bit darker in atmosphere than later seasons/episodes. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Bwod
This should be a 5 AAA rating. . This is the best package I have ever bought . It contains secondary audio portions explaining 5 episodes on film and actors movements throughout... Read morePublished 14 months ago by Gerald Zehr
This set is awesome. I always loved these old Superman series, and now I can view them whenever I want. George Reeve is really the ONLY Superman (May he rest in peace).Published 15 months ago by Al Sider
love the original superman..and those tights are so sexy!!!!!Published 16 months ago by dan da man!
classic tv, they don't make shows like this anymore. thank god for DVD's.Published 17 months ago by eric salaciak
I purchased the whole series from Amazon at a great price and have just completed watching the first and second seasons. What excellent DVD's... Read morePublished 18 months ago by Amazonfan
Fantastic show, with a fantastic price tag. Ignore the old reviews discussing the disc mixup. That's long been fixed and you needn't worry.Published 19 months ago by P
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Crime
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Series & Sequels > Superman > Adventures of Superman
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Superheroes
- Movies & TV > Classics > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Classics > Drama
- Movies & TV > Classics > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Classics > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Classics > Westerns
- Movies & TV > Drama > Classics
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Characters & Series > Superman
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Classics
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Military & War
- Movies & TV > Mystery & Suspense > Crime
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Television
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > Classic TV
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > Drama
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > TV Series By Letter > A > Adventures of Superman
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > Westerns
- Movies & TV > Westerns > Classics