countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 24, 2003
A Canadian of 23 years old, she packed her bags and headed off to be a nursing missionary in the highlands of Papua New Guinea, and her mother sent with her this cookbook. Well, the pages of the Purity Cookbook are torn and stained with dirt from PNG. Then across to Australia she came to settle down with a new husband. How often this cook book was used you would not believe, the pages have notes written on them (some are now almost impossible to read), some pages are torn, others are missing and almost all pages have been impregnated with ingredients!
This is the recipe book that all 3 of us children learnt to cook from, the recipes are so simple and so delicious that I don't think anyone could fail with this cookbook. Yes, I was going to try and retype the whole recipe book to make sure that the recipes would not be lost and I was overjoyed when I discovered that the original Purity Cookbook had been reprinted. I can't wait till my mid year break from studying nursing to cook a feast!
I have so many fond memories of this book from my childhood; making sugar cookies with my mum, licking out bowls from the chiffon cake batter and learning how to make bread from scratch. This, and my mum, are what made me the reasonably good cook I am today. This has to be my most prized recipe book. If you are looking for a reliable and tasty recipe book, then this one if for you. I cannot sing its praises highly enough.
on February 24, 2011
I recently bought two of these cookbooks--one as a gift and the other for myself. I remember my mother's Purity Cookbook from when I was a child--it was a red hardcover one which she gave to me when I married. It eventually was in tatters and I typed out a couple of my favourites before discarding it (how I wish that I had kept it, tattered and all). Then one day some five years or so later there was another Purity Cookbook for sale in our local IGA which, of course, I bought. It is my favourite and is getting rather grease spotted and flour coated now.
I went online a few years ago to see if I could get another but found that the Purity Flour Company had gone out of business and did not publish another. But then, I was able to get this reissue from Amazon and I love it. I have several cookbooks but it is the first that I look for. I have always liked the format of the recipes in that the ingredients are listed as they are used rather than ingredients separate from directions. Sure, the some of the recipes aren't the same but I love it anyway.
As an aside, my grandmother passed a few years ago and my dad found amongst her possessions three other Purity Cookbooks--two which were obviously my great-grandmother's--one published in 1917! In the back are coupons to send away for other copies--just send $0.20 (as compared to the $1.00 for it in the 1967 copy). Certainly a cookbook for all Canadians through the years--nearly one hundred!
I hope that these cookbooks continue to be published--they are neat and compact in their delivery of some real down-to-earth cooking.
on June 1, 2016
I purchased my original Purity Cook Book before I was married nearly 46 years ago. I used it regularly until it practically fell apart. I was absolutely thrilled when I found a copy of it in a small bookstore in Goderich, Ontario. And, my daughter, newly married, was thrilled because I passed on the old one to her. She has been married almost 16 years and still using my old copy on a regular basis and "bitching" at me because it is getting harder and harder to keep the pages together. And, when I found it online I just knew that I needed to get her a new one. I am sure that the world will hear her joy when she opens it on her birthday.
The absolute best, down to earth, well rounded cook book I have ever owned.
on December 4, 2009
Most people who bought the Purity Cookbook in the 1960's or '70's treasure it until it falls apart. That's why I failed to locate an old copy in any of the used bookstores I visited.
The new addition is just not the same. First of all, the spiral binding is gone - that was one of the big attractions. Secondly, most of my favourite recipes from the old version are gone - for example, Shepherd's Pie, and Coconut Drop Cookies.
I am very disappointed.
on May 10, 2016
My Mom learned to cook from this book and so did I. When I got married I had hers photocopied. When it came back into publication I bought her a new one as well. The old coil notebook style of the original version was easier to work with in the kitchen but the recipes are all original and our family loves them
on February 13, 2003
My father, who was and still is the cook in my childhood home, used this cookbook so much it is now beyond ragged. I bought a used original edition copy on EBay awhile ago for myself, but I was very excited to see that it was reissued and I bought two more copies for my brother and cousin. The recipes in this book are excellent. My husband swears by the pancake batter recipe. My father has made every pie, cookie, roll etc recipe. You will not regret ordering this cookbook.
on May 22, 2016
Very excellent book. I got the purity cook book for my bridal shower 49 years ago. It's practically in more pieces than I can count. It is so goods. I got one for each of my daughters and my granddaughters. I hope they use it as much as I have
on June 19, 2014
This cookbook was used in my high school 'Home Economics' classes in the 1960's and the recipes are just as good as they were back then! I had used the Purity cookbook so much over the years that the pages were stained and torn from overuse. I was so happy to discover that a new edition was available after all these years. This cookbook offers a wide variety of meals, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, preserves, and even cooking for a crowd. There are basic tips on how to bake bread, pickling, freezing, and so on. I would recommend this cookbook to anyone who is new to cooking as well as to people who have been cooking all their lives. And for us old timers, it also brings a little nostalgia into the kitchen.
on July 6, 2009
I just purchased my second Purity Flour cookbook! My first one was a gift from my sister at my wedding shower, 41 years ago! I have made every recipe in that book many times over. For years it was the only cookbook I owned. In those days there weren't many cookbooks around.
Time has passed, my children are raised. I now have over 300 cookbooks in my collection. I know I will use this new one many more times, making treats for my grandchildren, and great meals for my husband.
Thank you, Amazon, for carrying this wonderful book!
on March 11, 2010
When we were first married in 1966 I bought a cookbook for my wife in Watson Lake, Y.T. for $1.25 at a ladies Aid fundraiser. When I brought it home I got a lot of meat served to me (hot tongue and cold shoulder) because my wife was an excellent cook and was of the opinion that I didn't need to bring a cookbook into the house. At any rate this "The New PURITY COOK BOOK The complete guide to Canadian Cooking" has been with us since. In the back are some cut-out "Purity Cook Book Order Coupons" and over the years two of them have been clipped out and the Purity Cook Book, Box 52, Toronto 9, Canada appears on the back and you have option of including the address that you wish the book sent to. We are forever getting requests from family and friends for different recipes from my wife. Hitting the internet in search of another few copies for our immediate family and friends I saw the "The ALL new Purity Cook Book" advertised on your site and figured that it would be the same or similar. The original has lots of photographs and about a dozen full page coloured food displays, a great index and set out with different foods listed and excellent recipes that have graced our table over the years. The "All New" book has different layout and a lot of different recipes and no where near the presentation of the original book has. I have been hitting the used book stores in search of another addition for our immediate family because my wife is not about to give up her handy reference cook book. If you are able to locate any copies of "The New PURITY Cook Book, The Complete Guide to Canadian Cooking", I sure would be interested.