Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

on June 3, 2002
As a sailor on every type of floating scrap of wood, fiberglass, steel and aluminum you can think of, I have sailed thousands and thousands of miles. I continually turn to this book as a source of reference and it is never out of close contact.
Even now, as I have no boat but race quite often, I pick up the book because I have questions or ideas about something. It is a wonderful source and the most complete reference I have ever seen.
This book would be especially useful to beginning sailors, but NOTHING can teach you like getting on the water. Use this book to be prepared, but get out there!
I have recommended this book even to some power boaters whom I thought I might convert. They have all enjoyed it and felt it was worth the money.
If you are on the fence, just trust me and buy the book. You will not be disappointed. Worst case scenario is that you put it on your coffee table for your guests to enjoy!
on August 16, 2000
I reviewed "Annapolis" for Good Old Boat magazine. The review, and an excerpt from the book is in the July/August issue. The book stands as the yardstick by which other sailing references must be judged. For this new edition, Rousmaniere did an excellent job of gender neutralizing the language without any awkwardness. He talks about "forehandedness", a state of being prepared for whatever the sea throws at one. This book is the best written resource to help one obtain that state. The book will be instantly accessible to the beginner. It will remain a good reference for the most experienced sea dog. Rousmaniere uses a lot of little tricks to help the reader retain the information in the book. While the book is chock full of facts, his love for sailing and the romance of the sea shows through as well. If you want to improve your sailing skills and knowledge, buy this book!
on May 1, 2000
Have you forgotten some of the terminology or manovers you learned in a sailing course last year? Are you an experienced sailor but would like more detailed information on a subject?This book has all the answers to the questions many novice sailors have; from parts of the boat, commands, moanovering in a harbour to sailor terminology. Themes also go into great detail on the subject matter accompanied with excellent illustrations to re-enforce your learning of a subject. It doesn't matter if your are a seasoned salt or new to the world of cruising. It belongs on every sailors book shelf.
on October 2, 2000
For me, a recreational sailor of over twenty years, this book has been like the bible. I've used it for voyage preparation, to teach new sailors and, when I wrote my sailing mystery novel, Inner Passages, this book was my first and primary resource!
Sometimes, late at night, nostalgic for the sensation of a sailboat deck underfoot once more, I pull it off the shelf and just dip inside. It evokes memories, reminds me of trips gone by, and I cam almost smell the sea air. This latest edition, replete with fine illustrations, should be a primary addition to any sailor's library.
on June 2, 2011
This book was a great booster to the world of sailing, I'm taking lessons this year and wanted to get a jump start and learn all I could about sailing before I took the lessons. I'm not even half way through and feel I've learned enough to sail a boat decently enough.

The illustrations are easily the best part, where the text is hard to understand the illustrations bring to light what it being talked about.

Would recommend this to anyone looking for a complete guide to sailing and a reference to look back on should you need to know more information.
on December 17, 1999
John Rousmaniere once again sets the standard for clear, concise descriptions of a frequently complicated topic: sailing and seamanship. Technically perfect (at least I can't complain about anything), and superbly illustrated, Annapolis covers all critical topics: rigging, heavy weather, navigation, anchoring, etc. This newest version expands are several areas, and is brought up to date with recent safety at sea findings and marine trends. Highly recommended for any sailor's library (and cruising powerboaters will find helpful information as well).
on October 20, 2001
There are few books as excellent in explaining both basic sailing skills and advanced procedures as the Annapolis Book of Seamanship. From boat handling, equipment, and terminology to weather and emergencies, this book covers all the fundamentals of sailing in clear, easy to grasp terms. Novices will find value in that the book assumes no prior knowledge of sailing, while old salts will appreciate the book's encyclopedia-like thoroughness.
If you only have one book in your sailing library, I recommend this be the one.
on April 19, 2001
This updated (1999) version of The Annapolis Book of Seamanship is a wonderful volume for both the new and more experienced sailor. With clear, lucid text and wonderful illustrations, Mr. Rousmaniere and Mr. Smith have created a truly useful guide. In particular, I found the section dealing with the "physics" of the boat to be very enlightening. I also was pleased with the strong emphasis on safety throughout the book. All around, one of the best books available on the topic, and highly recommended.
on November 9, 2003
When I started sailing my 27 foot sloop, I knew very little about sailing. I bought this book and used it to teach myself to sail. Now years later I still refer to it from time to time. I definitely think this is one of several books that all sailors should have on their bookshelves. I keep The Annapolis Book of Seamanship handy on my boat at all times.
on July 3, 2002
I just finished a ton of sailing classes,starting w/the Laser & moving on to bigger and better, but NOT WITHOUT the help of this book!!YOU wanna SAIL?FOR REAL?BUY IT!READ IT!LEARN IT!LIVE IT!You can't lose...or drowned!