- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Art of Maya: An Introduction to 3D Computer Graphics Paperback – Mar 18 2005
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The Art of Maya 3rd edition is an introduction to 3D computer graphics unlike any other. Join the thousands of users who've garnered the knowledge they needed to enter the 3rd dimension with this full color visual exploration of the theory of Maya. Rich with diagrams and illustrations that demonstrate the critical concepts of 3D time and space, this book will help you understand the concepts critical to conveying your artistic vision through the medium of 3D. If you are an artist looking to incorporate 3D into your toolkit, this is the resource you need.
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Time and Space
- Setting Keys
- Non-linear Animation
- Rigid Body Dynamics
- Subdivision Surfaces
- Deforming Objects
- Lattices and Clusters
- Character Animation
- Materials and Textures
- Shading Networks
- Texture Maps
- Bumps and Displacements
- Digital Cinematography
- Particle Effects
- Paint Effects
- Maya Fluid Effects
- Maya Cloth
- Maya Long Hair
- Interactive 3D
- Game Creation
- Building Levels
The Art of Maya includes Maya Personal Learning Edition to allow you to start practicing right away. The book closes with a series of Production Notes detailing how skilled Maya artists have worked with the software to create production quality films, games, visualizations and animations.
Get an inside look at the use of Maya by:
- The Canadian Broadcast Corporation
- Turner Studios
- Digital Domain for the making of I-Robot
- Weta Digital in the making of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- The AOES Medialab
- The Mill
- Oddworld Inhabitants in the making of Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
About the Author
This official book is written and produced by Alias, the creators of Maya.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This is a beginer's book that goes into great detail about the concepts of using Maya. Many newbies might prefer to just by advanced books and learn all the WOW tricks that Maya has to offer. Of course then those users don't know why they went through the process they did to create a stunning image, and are left without any creative energy.
This makes this book a MUST HAVE for beginers and intermediate users. Every bit of the under lying logic in how Maya works is explained.
This is also a good "reading" book too. The problem with other Maya books that have projects is that you can not sit down and read them without being in front of your computer to do the projects. With "The Art of Maya," you can set it next to your nightstand and just read a chapter or two before bedtime; you can learn things without having to sit in front of the box.
This is worth every penny.
As a new Maya user and being brand new to 3-D modelling in general, I actually found it to be a decent and useful read. But I have to admit that I was hoping for, and expecting more of a tutorial. But it still gave me a decent "view from 10,000 feet" of the program, which is something few if any other books will give you. Also it is well written and very well illustrated, it just wasn't at all what I expected.
If you are considering buying it to learn Maya, look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a decent overview of Maya, or are evaluating various 3-D tools, this may be a decent book to buy.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Digital Audio, Photography & Video > Digital Photography & Video > Video Production
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design > Desktop Publishing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Game Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Graphics & Visualization