The Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic: Introduction, Critical Edition and Cuneiform Texts Hardcover – Nov 7 2003
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
... monumental ... splendid book ... expect to see a revival of Gilgamesh studies in the next few years, renewed and invigorated by George's magnificent study. Bryn Mawr Classical Review ... exhaustive ... comprehensive ... George is an excellent cuneiformist and his edition is as complete as anyone might hope ... a great achievement. The Times Higher Education Supplement George will be thanked by Assyriologists for the labour of producing such a comprehensive edition of all known pieces of text, great and small. The Times Higher Education Supplement
From the Publisher
numerous line drawings, tables and halftonesSee all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Not only will the reader of this treatise learn mankind's fetish for immortality, male virility, and homoerotic warrior tanist love affairs (Gilgamesh and Enkidu), (s)he will learn the literary, historical and religious traditions that produced and preserved this oldest, long poetical treatise in human written record (40 centuries of production, dissemination and reception). You will also receive the standard insight of the ancient mind into the netherworld and the above-world of gods.
Dr. George has produced a 'masterpiece', if I made use that over-used, vulgar, trite term. But in Dr. George's case, it is more than a truthful attribution. This model scholarship will set the bar very high for future Babylonian cuneiform textual scholars to achieve. Dr. George's industry in ferreting out all the fragments of this Semitic epic composition in their Old Babylonian, Middle Babylonian & Assyrian editions is a feat of labor few scholars are capable of. Not only does he possess the mental power of tenacity, but also the artistic powers of beauty in presentation, love & passion for his field, and an extremely acute intelligence of the highest order. In short, he is a savant!
The price is a mere $564.00 for this brilliant work of scholarship. It is 1,176 pages in two volumes. One would expect to pay more for the publishing feat of reproducing ancient Babylonian cuneiform ligatures in written print on paper. Oxford University Press is to be congratulated for undertaking this great challenge.
If you are a young scholar or student, start saving your money to buy this treatise. It will change your life and ennoble your humanity! You will learn from this ancient corpus that not much has changed in the human condition! We have only learned to be more brutal, lethal and destructive towards our planet and our fellow man, since this great artistic composition was composed.
If you are thinking of pursuing a M.Phil. Degree from Oxford University, Oxford, England in its Babylonian Cuneiform Coarsework, you are blackmailed---you must purchase this learned, scholarly treatise!
John E.D.P. Malin,
Chairman of the Board & Chief Executive Officer
P.O. Drawer 460
Cecilia, Louisiana 70521-0460
price for those interested in the original.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient > Assyria, Babylonia & Sumer
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Greek
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > African
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Ancient, Classical & Medieval
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Epic
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Middle Eastern
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > African
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Gilgamesh
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > African & Middle Eastern