- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The <i>Beowulf</i> Manuscript: Complete Texts and <i>The Fight at Finnsburg</i> Hardcover – Dec 22 2010
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Understandably, interest in the manuscript has centered on Beowulf, and it is still called the Beowulf manuscript here, though--unprecedentedly--this new book contains both text and translations of all the Nowell manuscript's items: the three prose works that precede Beowulf--The Passion of St. Christopher, The Wonders of the East, and The Letters of Alexander the Great to Aristotle--as well as Judith. It is an inspired project. R. D. Fulk is one of the world's leading Beowulfians...Fulk has produced an elegant, slightly archaized prose version of the poem ("He lived to see remedy for that") that keeps to the same register for all the items in the manuscript. His textual notes are predictably authoritative, and he conveys a remarkable amount of information within a small compass in his notes to the translations. ...This delightful book is a particularly graceful member of the beautifully produced Dumbarton Oaks series. (Bernard O'Donoghue Times Literary Supplement 2011-07-08)
About the Author
R. D. Fulk is Chancellor’s Professor of English at Indiana University, Bloomington.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book, moreover, would be a great starting place for anyone interested in Old English literature and needing an accessible and engaging point of entry. Highly recommended.
If this book is any indication, the series will soon play an essential role in promoting the study of important medieval texts in facing-page editions/translations. This volume brings together all of the texts of the Beowulf Manuscript, Cotton Vitellius A.XV, and provides a lucid prose English translation.
On an aesthetic note: absolutely gorgeous, a pleasure to read, lovely font, high-quality paper and binding: these books will instruct and delight for many, many years!
the one thing i can say is that this series has grown and harvard's site has a list of books that boggle the mind. in the day of the book-killing kindle, it's nice to know people still value the book, as opposed to just the written word, and are willing to still print. there really is nothing like holding a book, turning its pages, and letting it take you places you wouldn't otherwise be able to go.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Poetry
- Books > History > Europe > Wales
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Medieval
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Ancient, Classical & Medieval
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Epic
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Single Authors > British & Irish
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Writing
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature