The BetterPhoto Guide to Digital Photography Paperback – Jun 1 2005
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Jim Miotke is the founder of BetterPhoto.com, an online photography resource that receives more than three million hits each month. An online instructor for the site's course on digital photography, Jim Miotke is also a professional photographer with more than twenty years' experience. He lives in Redmond, Washington.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The Betterphoto Guide provides a comprehensive overview of digital photography and explains the foundation on which it's based. Technical elements like exposure and light are clearly explained in an easy to understand and succinct manner. As my understanding of the different components increased, I quickly moved away from the automatic settings on my camera (Canon Powershot A630) and the quality of my pictures soared.
Another important component of the book deals with the artistic elements of photography (Composition). What, how, and why are all discussed and all the suggestions are immediately applicable. After reading this book, I was able to compose better pictures with a tighter focus and, in addition, have gained a greater appreciation and understanding of other's work.
There are also chapters that discuss the particular components of a digital camera. These help the reader become "acquainted" with his/her particular camera. File settings and there importance are also discussed and will help the reader decide which is right for him/her (if one's camera allows that choice). A digital camera Buyer's guide is included at the book's end, which provides invaluable advice.
This book is targeted at beginners and is a great choice for both DSLR and p&s owners. My only caveat is that it will leave you wanting better equipment and more time to pursue your new habit. Er.. I mean hobby (Kelby moment).
Overall, I find this a beautifully illustrated book that provides a solid foundation on which to launch your photographic endeavor.
or SLR camera let this book be your first reference. In fact, it can be your only reference as a beginner or even intermediate
Why I like it:
1. Simple language that makes it easy to understand and follow
2. A practical guide that drives you through steps to create your professional photos
3. Covers a variety of aspects concerning photography other than just shooting
4. Full of colorful pictures that clarifies what they are talking about
5. Unbelievable price! A complete photography course in a book that cost no more than $16.47!
6. Written by a great person JIM MIOTKE, he is professional photographer and photography instructor.
Believe me, this book is one of the BEST you could ever read in this area! And the best one to start with!
This was the only book I really found that shows, step-by-step, the who, what, where, when and why behind the functions of the digital camera. Easy to read (this is not one of those 400-page bibles,) with accurate photographs to guide you every step of the way and assignments at the end of each chapter to give you a hands-on learning experience, you will see improvement in your photographs right away. Once you grasp the freddom and control you actually have over your photographs you will want to take your camera everywhere and apply what you've learned.
I highly recommend this book, even if you just read the highly informative captions that accompany every photograph in the book.
(edited for typo)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Digital Photography
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Equipment, Techniques & Reference > Color
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > How-to
- Books > Computers & Technology > Digital Audio, Photography & Video > Digital Photography & Video > Digital Photography