The Cat in the Hat and Other Dr. Seuss Favorites Audio Cassette – Abridged, Audiobook, Unabridged
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Dr. Seuss was born Theodor Geisel in Springfield, Massachusetts on March 2, 1904. After attending Dartmouth College and Oxford University, he began a career in advertising. His advertising cartoons, featuring Quick, Henry, the Flit!, appeared in several leading American magazines. Dr. Seuss's first children's book, And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, hit the market in 1937, and the world of children's literature was changed forever! In 1957, Seuss's The Cat in the Hat became the prototype for one of Random House's best- selling series, Beginner Books. This popular series combined engaging stories with outrageous illustrations and playful sounds to teach basic reading skills. Brilliant, playful, and always respectful of children, Dr. Seuss charmed his way into the consciousness of four generations of youngsters and parents. In the process, he helped kids learn to read.
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 1984 and three Academy Awards, Seuss was the author and illustrator of 44 children's books, some of which have been made into audiocassettes, animated television specials, and videos for children of all ages. Even after his death in 1991, Dr. Seuss continues to be the best-selling author of children's books in the world. --This text refers to the Audio CD edition.
Delightful packaging distinguishes the new Dr. Seuss CD audiobook, right down to imprinted graphics on the discs. The all-star cast of readers--Kelsey Grammer, Dustin Hoffman, Walter Matthau, John Cleese, and others--promises an entertaining program. Nearly a dozen Seuss stories are read with nearly as many artistic approaches. Billy Crystal is over the top; John Cleese has impeccable comic timing; Ted Danson seems unimpressed by the Lorax. But Grammer comes across best. He gets the rhymes and delivers the verse with style. His energy, like Seuss's, never flags and never seems forced. The production has an appealing, inventive combination of music and words. Have some fun with this audio--the producers did! R.F.W. © AudioFile 2004, Portland, Maine-- Copyright © AudioFile, Portland, Maine --This text refers to the Audio CD edition.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
1. There are times when the background music is too loud (as another reviewer said). With an audiobook, especially in the car, it is critically important to have the voice dominant enough to be heard clearly throughout, and that is occasionally not true here.
2. The books aren't separated or clearly delineated. If you bought the CD, you'd get each book as a separate track -- as things should be -- allowing you to find the start of a book and skip between books quickly. If you buy the Audible version, however, you're going to have to figure out that the Grinch begins at 25 minutes, 14 seconds and ends at 37 minutes, 28 seconds, etc. And you'll have to cope with the fact that there's absolutely no buffer between the books. I have just figured all these out and am using audio software to split the file up, but there's no reason I should have to do this. I can't edit the product for the rest of you, but here are the times:
The Cat in the Hat - 0:00:33 - 0:08:34
Horton Hears a Who - 0:08:35 - 0:25:13
The Grinch... - 0:25:14 - 0:37:28
Did I Ever Tell You... - 0:37:29 - 0:45:59
The Lorax - 0:46:00 - 1:01:10
Yertle... - 1:01:11 - 1:23:39
Thidwick... - 1:23:40 - 1:35:00
Horton Catches the Egg - 1:35:01 - 1:46:06
The Cat in the Hat Comes Back - 1:46:07 - 1:55:11
In sum, a great product marred a bit by technical issues. Buy the CD & rip it is the easiest way to cope, but if you buy this, I hope the above saves you some frustration.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Audiobooks > Authors, A-Z > ( S ) > Dr. Seuss
- Books > Audiobooks > Children's Books > Classics
- Books > Audiobooks > Children's Books > Dr. Seuss
- Books > Audiobooks > General
- Books > Children's Books > Classics
- Books > Children's Books > Humour > Humourous Stories
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Dr. Seuss