- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The City of Words Paperback – Sep 3 2007
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Losing yourself in Alberto Manguel's mind... means being led expertly through a complex labyrinth of fact and exposition. (Globe and Mail 2007-10-01)
About the Author
Alberto Manguel is an anthologist, translator, essayist, novelist, and editor. His bestselling and award-winning books include A Dictionary of Imaginary Places and A History of Reading. He was born in Buenos Aires; in 1982 moved to Toronto, Canada, where he became a Canadian citizen; and now lives in France. He is the recipient of numerous awards and honours, including a Guggenheim Fellowship.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Under the following chapter headings, we are invited to think about the future by drawing on the past to interpret the present:
`The Voice of Cassandra'
`The Tablets of Gilgamesh'
`The Bricks of Babel'
`The Books of Don Quixote'
`The Screen of Hal'
Alberto Manguel invites the reader to consider a number of different and important questions:
How does language itself determine, limit and enlarge our imagination of the world?
How do the stories we tell help us perceive ourselves and others?
Can such stories lend a whole society an identity, whether true or false?
Is it possible for stories to change us and the world we live in?
This is a book to keep and to refer back to. The prose is a joy to read for its own sake, the underlying messages are enduring and the questions are timeless.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Americas > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > History > United States > African Americans > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Books & Reading
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > Collections & Readers
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > History & Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Canadian
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > European
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > European
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences