- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Climate Diet: How You Can Cut Carbon, Cut Costs, and Save the Planet Paperback – Jun 13 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'Understanding that global warming is real and must be dealt with is a critical first step, but this does not fix the problem. The Climate Diet is filled with practical advice on what to do next-how to reduce the climate change our children will have to endure, and how, in many cases, to save money while doing so.' Michael MacCracken, Chief Scientist for Climate Change Programs, Climate Institute, Washington D.C. 'There is much to recommend in this book. It's chief virtue lies in its approach. The diet analogy should work with students and the use of data tables opens up a wealth of ideas for education. Although aimed at a general audience I would suggest it would be an idea text for sustainable education courses and teacher training programmes. Getting students involved in this sort of work could actually make the difference the author seeks.' Dr Paul S Ganderton, TENews 'This book is an essential handbook for anyone with an environmental conscience that has been agitated by the media but left wanting of facts. The author uses simple tables of statistics to emphasise energy and emission saving points, and summarises handy tips for use at home at every chapter's conclusion.' Sherkin Comment 'A comprehensive guide to eating well and saving the planet. In this down-to-earth book, Harrington offers information and advice, and provides a checklist of recommendations to get us on the road to eating and living more sustainably.' Food Ethics 'A solid choice for anyone concerned about the environment.' Midwest Book Review 'The book is well pitched to families who want practical steps for reducing domestic carbon emissions... An optimistic, motivating read.' Environmental Law Foundation 'This is an unusual book appealing to individuals and families by focusing on the household carbon footprint... Recommended. General readers; undergraduates through professionals.' Choice 'Here's a diet that will leave us not grouchy and wanting, but happier, a little richer, and on a sweeter planet!' Bill McKibben, author Deep Economy and The End of Nature 'In order to lose weight, you need to eat less and exercise more. In order to save our planet, we need to consume less and conserve more. The Climate Diet is a sensible, inspiring prescription for cutting back on our materialistic lifestyles and restoring planetary health.' J. Matthew Sleeth, M.D., author of Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action 'Want to help stop global warming and save the planet? Here's how!' Mother Jones 'The Climate Diet is a lightweight, easy-to-read book that delivers digestible chunks of information, hints and tips.' The Environmentalist Magazine 'The book is so convincing that it is able to vitalize environmental thinking even for those people, who did not consider their behaviour earlier from the environmental point of view...This is a great achievement of Harrington!' Zentralblatt F�r Geologie und Pal�ontologie Teil II
About the Author
Dr Jonathan Harrington is an associate professor of international relations at Troy University, Alabama, USA. He has authored more than 15 articles on environment and development issues. He lives near Seattle, WA, USA.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
While I like the no-nonsense presentation and research-based approach of the UCS book, Jonathan Harrington does the UCS one better by providing a great analogy, fun motivational techniques, and completely updated and expanded energy efficiency and cost/benefit statistics.
What's great about this book is that it brings together all those energy-saving tips you've been hearing about ever since you paid your first utility bill, shows you why you really should care (especially with energy prices what they are today), and then helps you prioritize according to your goals, interest level, budget, and so on.
As I go through my house doing yet another energy audit, I'm finding things I've sloughed off before. Now though it's turned into a kind of game. One thing leads to another until I find myself looking everywhere for those energy savings and carbon footprint reductions.
Why do I like _The Climate Diet_?
Because it's fun, it's good for the planet, and it saves me money!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Investing > Processes & Infrastructure
- Books > Parenting & Relationships
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Public Policy
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Environmental
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Climatology > Climate Changes
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Management
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Environmental Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > Public Policy