The Commodification of Childhood: The Children's Clothing Industry and the Rise of the Child Consumer Paperback – Apr 20 2004
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"Blending the sociologist's theoretical rigor with the historian's attention to detail and change, Daniel Thomas Cook offers us a striking and original explanation of how twentieth-century notions of childhood together with new marketing practices led to the modern autonomous child."--Gary Cross, author of The Cute and the Cool: Wondrous Innocence and Modern American Children's Culture "Daniel Thomas Cook's The Commodification of Childhood is a pioneering and major contribution to our understanding of consumer culture. On the basis of his detailed and fascinating examination of children's clothing marketing through the twentieth century, Cook constructs a larger template for understanding the complex and evolving relations between consumers and marketers. The theoretical discussions are a tour de force. A must-read for all scholars of consumer society."--Juliet B. Schor, author of The Overspent American: Why We Want What We Don't Need
About the Author
Daniel Thomas Cook is a sociologist in the Department of Advertising at University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana. He is the editor of "Symbolic Childhood."
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Cook's sources are trade journals and he makes good use of these sources, but some case studies of particular companies might have strengthned his argument. But as the blurb on the book's back cover says it is `a must read for all scholars of consumer society'.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Books > Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales > Consumer Behaviour
- Books > History > Americas > United States > 20th Century
- Books > History > United States > 20th Century
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Relationships
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Children's Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Popular Culture
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Culture
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Consumer Behaviour
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Business & Investing
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Engineering
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Social Sciences