- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Conduct of Life: By Ralph Waldo Emerson Paperback – Apr 5 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
This well-organized editorial material is useful especially for students and general educated readers coming to study these works for the first time, but also for the specialist who wants to check details or keep up with central literature. The editor's notes offer historical contextualization, terminological and etymological clarifications, and information on both the well-known and the relatively unknown authors cited by Emerson.... Callaway has modernized the spelling of the prose, but otherwise the editions follow the originals. (Sami Pihlström, University of Helsinki)
Although the works of Emerson are studied in the departments of literature in the United States, we encounter on this occasion―as suggested by the subtitle―a genuinely philosophical reading, as reflected in the thoughtful Introduction by the editor...and especially in the patient provision of annotation of the nine chapters...Fortunately for us, this work...makes the original text much more readable and understandable...In sum, it is a good moment to return to to reading Ralph Waldo Emerson. (Jaime Nubiola, University of Navarra Anurario Filosófico)
About the Author
H.G. Callaway is the author of Context of Meaning and Analysis: A Critical Study in Philosophy of Language and co-author of American Ethics: A Source Book From Edwards to Dewey. Currently the Editor of Central European Value Studies, Professor Callaway has taught at The Pennsylvania State University, the University of Ibadan in Nigeria, the University of Erlangen, and the University of Mainz in Germany.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Essays
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Collections & Readers
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Ethics & Morality
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Movements > Existentialism
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > American Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Philosophy > Ethics