- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Elements of Style (4th Edition) Hardcover – Aug 24 1999
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
William Strunk, Jr. first used his own book, The Elements of Style, in 1919 for his English 8 course at Cornell University. The book was published in 1935 by Oliver Strunk.
E. B. White was a student in Professor Strunk's class at Cornell, and used "the little book" for himself. Commissioned by Macmillan to revise Strunk's book, White edited the 1959 and 1972 editions of The Elements of Style.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I still read the introduction, and I still glance through the book looking for encouragement and inspiration. The effort pays off when I write a ghastly sentence in the middle of an important e-mail and consider pressing the "send" button. I remember that I may save one reader by re-writing that sentence.
I could slink off the field of battle, but instead, I lower my lance and charge. Strunk and White remind me that the battle is worth it and that, by God, it's fun.
This is a small, to-the-point reference guide that I have used for my final edit on research essays. It greatly improved my writings by calling attention to my use of abstract words and adverbs--all with clear samples of proper/improper use to help you identify the difference.
I would recommend this to anyone who wants a condensed reference in grammer usage, and so did my college English Professor.
Most recent customer reviews
Exactly what was needed for a writing reference book. Must have for a PhD student!Published 25 days ago by Amazon Customer
To be brief: if you do a lot of writing, consider this book an essential part of your reference library!Published on March 9 2003 by Damian P. Gadal
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Grammar
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Vocabulary
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Technical
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Writing Skills
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Business & Investing
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Education
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Science & Math > Technology > Technical Thinking & Writing
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Dictionaries
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Writing Skills