In a class by itself when it comes to reference guides for the journey, The Genealogy Handbook opens all avenues for tracking down distant forebears and discovering long-lost living relatives. Exhaustive and immediately useful, this unbeatable book delivers critical tools and proven techniques for research with results--from finding clues within the routineclutter around a house to mining public archives to maximizing the World Wide Web.
Step by step, this hands-on resource shows how to start with evidence on-hand-old letters, photos-then get more. Along the way, it cheers on searchers with dramatic, real-life cases.
* Interview relatives and glean fresh insights from familiar anecdotes.
* Decipher antique handwriting and archaic language.
* Uncover clues in wills and probate documents.
* Maximize the data in census and cemetery records.
* Transform time-worn unidentified photographs into helpful sources.