march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2015
Purchased this for my son as a Christmas present overall the book was good however, we were sent the large print novel although I had ordered the book in regular print. The novel is well written but wasn't as good as the 2 previous books and the storyline seems a little bit more rushed compared to The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games Catching Fire.
on December 2, 2010
The box set includes 3 Hunger Games books - which is the complete set. This would be an amazing gift for any teenage girl or guy and even an adult who likes science fiction. These books have it all - action, drama, adventure, sci-fi, love, loyalty, friendship. All 3 books had me on the edge of my seat, flipping and reading the pages as fast as i can.

The books are about a teenage girl, Katniss, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country Panem which is controlled by one government and one president. Her world is very different from ours as Panem consists of 12 districts and they're basically like little towns or little cities. All 12 are controlled by district 1 which has the most food, money, power and comfort. District 12 is the worst - the people there live in extreme poverty, have no money or help from anyone and life is hard. To keep everyone in their "rightful" place, district 1 hosts Hunger Games every year which is a game that is broadcasted on television in every district. Hunger Games work like this - 1 boy and 1 girl is chosen at a random draw from each district to participate, they're then transported to district 1, the capitol, to play the game. The game is hosted in a man-made environment, like a little forest for example, and there are a lot of traps everywhere. The goal for the participants is to kill each other, and the last one standing is crowned the winner. The winner gets food and gets to live in a better house. The point of the Hunger Games is for the capitol to demonstrate that even children are not above the law. District 12 almost never wins since the children there are hungry and weak, and mostly District 1 and 2 win the games since the kids there have plenty of food and healthcare.

The only difference is that the rich districts (1,2,3) children just want to win for pleasure but the poor districts (12, 11, 10) they fight for food.

Katniss, is not chosen for this year's Hunger Games, instead her only sister is, who is very young. Katniss volunteers to take her place in the games, and that's how the story begins.

The idea is horrifying, I have chills just writing about it and thinking back to reading the books. I already gave this set to a friend of mine and she finished the 1st book and absolutely loved it. This is a great gift or just buy it for yourself. I am planning to go back and re-read the trilogy in some time, it's just amazing. The story is very well written, you can easily picture the sounds and the smells - the characters are written out very well with great detail. The action and drama scenes are so intense that you will hold your breath and shed a tear - it feels like you're right there in the middle of all of this. Get the set, read it, you won't regret it!
on November 3, 2010
I read all three books in under two weeks while at home with strep-throat.

I was very quickly intrigued by the main character, and liked her immediately.

From there, I just could not read the books fast enough, I needed to know what happened next.

I love that the female protagonist is essentially the age of a high-school senior, but is brilliant, strong-willed and lethal. She's no passive debutante. Any person who has had to struggle in their life, especially as a child or young adult, can appreciate the way that forms you as a person. How it can make you a little hard.

Apparently these books are classified as "young adult" but I got a real kick out of them, and I'm not a young adult. I'm merely "adult." I mean, the stories are quite violent. More so than many adult science fiction novels I've read.

Unapologetic. Action heavy. Great characters. An absolute riot.
on September 25, 2008
Twenty-four children: twelve boys, twelve girls, tributes selected by random lottery every year and sent to the capitol city of Panem to compete in a brutal, bloodthirsty fight for survival, with the last participant standing declared champion.

Welcome to the Hunger Games, a grim reminder to those living in the twelve districts comprising what was once the United States of their place as virtual slaves to the gleaming Capitol at their center.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen is this year's female representative for District 12, having volunteered to take her younger sister Prim's place. Sent to the arena with the baker's son and classmate, Peeta Mellark -- a boy who, several years prior, saved Kat and her family from the ravages of starvation after her father's death in a coal mining accident -- neither competitor from the final district seem to be contenders.

But Peeta's good nature and Kat's small stature belie the former's cunning intelligence and the latter's experience as a hunter; while a revelation from Peeta during the introductory ceremonies sends Katniss into the first day of competition more than a little off-kilter.

The stage is set, the tributes have arrived, and the cameras are watching...let the games begin.

It is no exaggeration to call THE HUNGER GAMES a pulse-pounding page-turner. Collins grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go. While Katniss isn't always the most likable character (in fact, there were plenty of times I much preferred the affable Peeta, or even sweet, birdlike little Ruth), she is always compelling, thanks to her rational approach to every challenge and her dogged determination.

While THE HUNGER GAMES is a plot-driven novel, the characters and their relationships are the heart of the story. Ms. Collins has created a dystopian tale of Orwellian caliber for young adults, giving any reader plenty to churn their minds between now and the next installment of this trilogy.

My only complaint is having to wait for the next installment.

Reviewed by: Cat
on July 19, 2013
This is the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy and I definitely enjoyed reading it. Its not as action packed in the first half as the other two, but you learn so much about the lost district that everyone wanted to know! I wont say anymore! Worth the read!
on July 23, 2012
I found the final book in the series to be different enough to keep me interested and light enough so that I could pick it up when I had some time to spare but put it down when my attention got diverted... all in all I found it was a good summer read
The 74th Annual Hunger Games are soon to begin. The Hunger Games are a fight to the death. In the new country of Panem, in the ruins of North America, each year as punishment for a rebellion and as a control mechanism, the Capitol forces each of the 12 provinces to draw names of a male and female tribute. The tributes are drawn from all people between the ages of 12 and 18. They receive training, are assessed by the game masters and then the betting begins. The games will be televised and are required viewing for the whole nation.

The draws are not exactly even though. You can choose to enter your name extra times, for yourself and for family members to receive a terse, a grain and oil supplement from the government. Thus enters our heroine Katniss Everdeen. She is entered this year 20 times as she is 16 and taken the terse every year, for herself, her sister and her mother. Her close friend Gale has his name in 42 times, but this is the last year he is eligible. Then Katniss has the worst fear hit - her younger sister Prim (short for Primrose) is drawn with her 1st and only ballot. Katniss then does the unthinkable; she volunteers to take Prim's place.

Katniss Everdeen knows that she has at least some chance of survival in the games. She has been secretly hunting in the woods and feeding her family since her father died years earlier. She hunts and gathers what she can with her friend and hunting partner Gale, in the woods beyond the fenced border of District 12. Yet even so, most believe she has just given up her life for her sisters.

Katniss and Peeta Mellark are the tributes from District 12 for the 74th annual hunger games. As they travel to the capitol they have two mentors - Haymitch Abernathy the only surviving Hunger Games winner from the district and Effie Trinket the Capitol's representative in the district. They will each in their own way try to help them to survive both the Capitol, to win favor with the citizens who can sponsor them in the games, and then the games themselves.

This book is very well written, the scenes sharp and crisp, the world believable and detailed. The characters become real as you read. You reach the end and are left hungry for more, which is what you will get as this is book one in a trilogy. The only drawback in my opinion is the lack of a map. I keep hoping for a map of Panem, with the 12 districts, the mysterious destroyed 13th district and the wilderness area's between them. Maybe it is just a guy thing, but I wanted a map. In this book Twenty-four are forced to enter the game zone but only the winner survives. You get a sample online. You can read chapter 1 online but it will only whet your appetite for more. There is also a video trailer for the book you can find online. This is a great Sci-fi book and would make an excellent movie.

(First Published in Imprint 2008-10-31.)
on December 4, 2013
This last book of the trilogy was a let down. Constant self questioning on the part of the heroine (instead of letting the reader do so), silly plot turns, and a speedy 5 page 5 year ending contributed to this disaster. Best to just read the first two fantastic books and imagine your own final saga.
on January 19, 2011
This series has made it through our family of 6 and their spouses. It is now being shared with the in-laws and their families. Best to buy the boxed set as you won't be able to stop after the first book!
on March 1, 2009
For a full day this book sucked me deep into it's incredible story... time passed and I didn't notice. I couldn't stop reading until I was done. Then on the last page I read, 'End of Book One' and my mouth fell open, my stomach dropped. I didn't get to know the end of the story. There's so much more to come... and another book to be released in Sept. I have another day off tomorrow and I'd really rather just have the next book now and spend another day in bed entranced by the next part of this amazing story.

I'm a teacher and I also work in a childrens book store. I read a review about this book and was intrigued. The description reminded me of a Japanese horror movie called "Battle Royale" which follows a similar storyline. That movie was great, but utterly disturbing and full of gore. So, I really wanted to read this book intended for youth, wondering how the author could have a similar story but not have it turn out as disturbing for the young readers. She succeeded. I'm still not even sure how, but she did it! Incredible.

I will be recommending this to friends my age, other book lovers, the book buyers at my store, teachers and youth (with a warning about the material as it still is about an upseting game/war). I can't wait to get my hands on the next book!