The Jazz Image: Masters of Jazz Photography Hardcover – Nov 1 2006
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
No mean jazz photographer himself--see his Images of Jazz (1996)--Tanner generously shares space with his peers in this album for which he wrote the historical preface, explaining why jazz photography is an after-1930 development, and selected the pictures. If there are more Tanner photos here than anyone else's, they don't upstage anyone else's, either. This black-and-white gallery is as distinguished for its egalitarianism as a jam session. It is understood, however, that it, like a jam session of real pros, represents an egalitarianism of the elite. The participating lensers include many of the most famous in documentary and commercial photography--the likes of Gjon Mili, William Claxton, Dennis Stock, Frank Wolff, Herman Leonard, Carole Reiff, Val Wilmer, and Jim Marshall--and, of course, the most famous photographer among jazz musicians, bassist Milt Hinton. To a person, they obtained the kind of images that Alfred Wertheimer in Elvis at 21 (2006) calls some of the best possible: pictures of people doing something more important to them than having their picture taken. Ray Olson
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
About the Author
Lee Tanner has been photographing jazz musicians for nearly half a century. His photographs have appeared in Down Beat, Jazz Times, American Photo, and Popular Photography, on the covers of many record albums, and in several books. He lives in Sonora, CA.
Nat Hentoff is a jazz critic, historian, biographer, and columnist for the Village Voice, The Wall Street Journal, and Jazz Times. In 2004 he was named one of six NEA Jazz Masters, the first non-musician to win this prestigious award. He lives in New York City.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Dance > Jazz
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Collections, Catalogues & Exhibitions
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Photo Essays
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Portraits
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Subjects
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > History & Criticism
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Jazz
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Dance > Jazz