The Mel Brooks Collection [Blu-ray]
|List Price:||CDN$ 79.99|
|Price:||CDN$ 50.00 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||CDN$ 29.99 (37%)|
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
There are plenty of belly laughs in The Mel Brooks Collection, an eight-disc set of most of the director-writer-actor's best-known films. Four of them--Silent Movie, High Anxiety, To Be or Not to Be, and Robin Hood: Men with Tights--are making their debut on DVD, while a fifth, The Twelve Chairs, was briefly available as a non-anamorphic DVD from Image Entertainment (all the DVDs in this set are anamorphically enhanced for widescreen TVs). That means you can sample a 23-year stretch of Brooks's outrageous and affectionate spoofing of everything from movies to popular legends to movies to historical figures to, hey! more movies.
The earliest film, The Twelve Chairs (1970), is the least known, but is one of the funniest, helped greatly by a good story (adapted from a 1920s Russian tale) and the casting of Ron Moody and Frank Langella as treasure hunters. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles followed in 1974. The former, a spoof of horror films, is easily one of the top two or three funniest movies of all time, and the latter is justly famous for its often-tasteless send-up of Western cliches. Silent Movie (1976) is just what the title describes, with its only word of dialogue spoken from the least-likely source, and High Anxiety (1977) pays tribute to the work of Alfred Hitchcock. History of the World, Part 1 (1981) mocks historical events and epics, and To Be or Not to Be (1983) is a remake of Ernst Lubitsch's 1942 classic of the same name (it's also the only film in the set Brooks for which didn't receive writing and directing credit). By this time, Brooks was more actively taking the leading roles himself (rather than the bit parts), and unfortunately relying less on his topnotch ensemble of recurring players, which included Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman, Harvey Korman, and Dom Deluise. But he does rely on a new ensemble (including Cary Elwes and, in his film debut, Dave Chappelle), for Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993), the feature-length spin on the same hero Brooks had spoofed in his short-lived 1975 television series When Things Were Rotten.
Bonus features are minor. In addition to an HBO featurette on Men in Tights, there's a featurette and interviews on To Be or Not to Be and all the features (Brooks commentary, deleted scenes, interviews, etc.) that were on the original release of Young Frankenstein. Note that while rights issues kept The Producers, Spaceballs, and other films out of this set, 20th Century Fox was able to use Warner Bros.' Blazing Saddles. The features on that disc, however, are the ones that were on the 1997 DVD release, not the 2004 anniversary reissue. Regardless, the set's price for this many films is low, and because it has so many films new to DVD, Brooks fans will want to pick this up faster than they can say... "Frau Blücher!" --David Horiuchi --This text refers to the DVD edition.
- First time on DVD, and only available in this set: High Anxiety, To Be Or Not To Be, Silent Movie, Robin Hood: Men In Tights
- Disc 1 "Blazing Saddles" (Warner Brothers)
- Audio: English: 5.1 / French: 1.0 Mono / Castillian Spanish 1.0
- Subtitled: English, Spanish, & French
- Special Features: Interview with Mel Brooks, Back in the Saddle, Segments from Intimate Portrait: Madeline Kahn, & TV Pilot: Black Bart
- Disc 2 "High Anxiety"
- Widescreen - 1.85:1
- Audio: English: Stereo / Spanish: Mono / French: Mono
- Subtitled: English & Spanish
- Special Features: Theatrical Trailer, Fox Flix: Robinhood Men in Tights, Silent Movie, To Be or Not To Be, & Young Frankenstein
- Disc 3 "History of the World Part I"
- Widescreen - 2.35:1
- Audio: English & French: 2.0 Mono
- Subtitled: English
- Special Features: Menus: Brain Soup & Original Theatrical Trailer
- Disc 4 "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"
- Audio: English: Dolby Surround / Spanish: Dolby Surround / French: Dolby Surround
- Special Features: HBO Special, Theatrical Trailer, Fox Flix: High Anxiety, Silent Movie, To Be or Not To Be, & Young Frankenstein
- Disc 5 "Silent Movie"
- Widescreen 1.85:1
- Audio: English: Dolby Surround Stereo / Spanish: Dolby Surround Stereo / French: Dolby Surround Stereo
- Subtitled: English & Spanish / Forced French Subtitled
- Special Features: Theatrical Trailer, Spanish Trailer, Portuguese Trailer, Fox Flix: High Anxiety, Robinhood Men in Tights, & To Be or Not To Be
- Disc 6 "To Be or Not to Be"
- Subtitled: English & Spanish / Forced Spanish & French Subtitled
- Special Features: Featurette, Profile: Mel Brooks, Anne Bancroft, Charles Durning, & Theatrical Trailer
- Disc 7 "Twelve Chairs"
- Audio: English: Stereo & Mono / Spanish: Mono
- Subtitled: English / Forced Spanish Subtitled
- Special Features: Mel Brooks Theatre: High Anxiety, History of the World Part I, Robinhood Men in Tights, Silent Movie, & To Be or Not To Be
- Disc 8 "Young Frankenstein"
- Audio: English: Stereo & Dolby 4.0 & French: Mono
- Special Features: Widescreen Feature with optional Mel Brooks Commentary, 36 minute documentary: "Making Frankensense of Young Frankenstein" out takes/bloopers & deleted scenes, Trailers: Showrama A, B, International, and Re-Release, TV Spots: 1:60, 3:30, & 5:10, Mexican Interviews with Leachman, Feldman and Wilder, Production Stills, and Theatrical Trailer.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
'Enjoy! Revel! Live!' as Mel says'and 'have yourselves one sweetheart of a good time.' Presenting Nine hugely popular films from one of cinema's most celebrated, prolific and funniest filmmakers, Mel Brooks! The undisputed king of hilariously quotable films, Mel Brooks has delivered hit after hit after hit, each one as memorable as the next. This Nine Blu-ray Disc Collection includes some of the most side-splitting, gut-busting, guffaw-inducing films ever made. It really is 'good to be the king!'
Contains the following films: 'The Twelve Chairs;' 'Blazing Saddles; Young Frankenstein;' 'Silent Movie;' 'High Anxiety;' 'History Of The World Part 1;' 'To Be Or Not To Be;' 'Spaceballs' and 'Robin Hood: Men In Tights.'
Cast: Frank Langella, Dom DeLuise, Ron Moody, Andreas Voutsinas, Mel Brooks, Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Slim Pickens, Madeline Kahn, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman, Teri Garr, Kenneth Mars, Bernadette Peters, Sid Caesar, Ron Carey, Howard Morris, Dick Van Patten, Anne Bancroft, Tim Matheson, Charles Durning, José Ferrer, George Gaynes, Christopher Lloyd, George Wyner, Lewis J. Stadlen, Jack Riley, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman, Daphne Zuniga and Joan Rivers
Directors: Mel Brooks and Alan Johnson
Producers: Michael Hertzberg, Ron Gilbert, Michael Gruskoff and Mel Brooks
Screenplay: Mel Brooks, Doris Mudie (English translation), Andrew Bergman, Richard Pryor, Norman Steinberg, Al Uger, Gene Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock (Dedication), Ronny Graham and Thomas Meehan
Composers: John Morris (score) and Mel Brooks (songs)
Cinematography: Djordje Nikolic, Joseph F.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
Very speedy delivery. I am 100% satisfied with the videos. Mel Brooks is a vey funny man.Published 5 months ago by Jean-Marie Lavertue