march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools

on March 31, 2009
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book shows you how. I think this book has a lot to offer every sleep-deprived parent - co-sleeping or not, breast or bottle-fed - without making value judgements.

I can't say enough about the "No-cry sleep solution". I'm certain that I'd still be waking up 4-5 times a night with my son now (as I did for the first 20 months of his life) if it weren't for this book (the original or "toddler" version - I've read both). If you're looking for a loving & gentle alternative to chronic sleep-deprivation of the worst order, without any crying (for you or your child), this book is a great choice.

This book was recommended to me by an expert board-certified lactation consultant who I know & trust very well. She specifically commented that this book is compatible/realistic in expectations regarding breastfed babies, where she didn't feel that some other books, like "Baby Whisperer" are (and I agree with her on that).

Just to show how far we've come in three months, thanks to this book: I'm still breastfeeding my son, just not during the night. He understands this, and is OK with it (he says "Milk in the morning" with a smile as we get him ready for bed in the evening). After we finish cuddling & reading in the evening, he *asks* to go into his bed, where he clearly feels cozy and happy. He asks to hold hands with me for just a few minutes, then he lets go (while still awake), and I sit with him until he falls asleep, usually 10 minutes or so. He's asleep by 8:30 pm, and wakes up at 7 am, calling out "Mummy? Good morning Mummy!", rested and smiling (he *always* used to wake up crying, and was still quite obviously tired, but I think he just didn't know how to go back to sleep). We cuddle & he nurses first thing when he wakes up, and then we're ready to start the day. Now I'm sleeping enough that I can even get up and - gasp - have a shower and be dressed before he wakes up, so our morning routine to get out of the house is a lot faster & easier. And my husband and I are back in our own bed together, yay! I'm a much nicer & more patient Mummy with a decent night's sleep, and my son is very happy & well-rested now too.
on May 25, 2002
I was desperate and this book saved me. My 15 month old was waking up every 2 hours every single night. He wouldn't nap more than 20 minutes. I was seriously sleep-deprived.
I let my first baby cry it out 4 years ago - it took 5 weeks and she would cry for hours at a time, and I cried too. And then we had to do it over again after teething or a cold or a vacation. I still regret it, but back then I didn't think I had any other choice. But now there was no way I would go through that torture again, so I suffered through 15 months of sleeplessness instead.
A friend gave me The No Cry Sleep Solution 4 weeks ago and we have made incredible progress! My baby falls asleep so much easier and wakes up only once. He takes a 2-hour nap, too.
I love that this book doesn't assume that all babies - or all parents - are alike. It gives a tremendous variety of ideas to choose from. It covers every possible aspect of baby sleep - from routines, to habits, to the sleep environment, to creating sleep-cues, to reading your baby's sleepy signals.
The chapter on Basic Sleep Facts taught me all I needed to know about my baby's sleep problems, without being overly long or technical. I like that the reader creates a personal sleep plan from the many ideas in the book, and I like that the author doesn't dictate one right way. You can be a co-sleeper or a crib-sleeper, a breastfeeder or a bottle feeder, use a pacifier or not - she respects all your choices and gives you ideas to work within the range of your own comfort zone.
The tone is compassionate and caring, like reading a letter from a kind and wise friend. I plan to give this book as a shower gift and new baby gift every chance I get. No one should suffer through sleepless nights OR crying it out - this book is the absolute answer to gentle baby sleep -- and better mommy and daddy sleep, too. (There's even a chapter on how adults can get better sleep too.)
If your baby is keeping you up at night this is the smartest [money] you could ever spend. ZZZZZZZZ
on January 14, 2014
As many parents who have a child with sleeping problems know, there are two basic schools of thoughts when it comes to "teaching" your child how to sleep - the "cry-it-out" school, and the attached parenting school. I have a strong conviction against using any methods that would cause the baby to cry unnecessarily, and have been reading many books from the no-cry "camp." What has been disappointing and distressing to me as a parent is that there are quite a few books from the no-cry camp that do not really make any concrete suggestions and tips as to what parents need to do to assist the baby in sleeping longer and sleeping un-interrupted. They go into extensive length either to explain to you why "cry it out" methods are harmful for the babies, or to encourage you to use your parental instincts to do "what feels right." As first-time parents who are starving to sleep, however, your instincts are foggy at best, and your mind just cannot tell you what needs to be done.

Pantley does a great job in first laying out in very straight-forward, but factual terms, the way babies sleep. It was extremely helpful to learn that a lot of the "problems" we are experiencing are actually quite normal, and as parents, our expectations need to be adjusted according to the developmental stages of the child. Pantley then goes on to provide an arsenal of tips and solutions, and offers a template where you can pick and choose the tips and strategies that fit your parental style, into a gentle, progressive, and thorough plan that would assist your child to eventually grow into a healthier sleep pattern that works for the baby and the family.

While it is still a bit of a struggle for my wife and I to help our child sleep through the night, the tips listed by Pentley are very helpful in moving us along. Things are slowly improving, and our baby, who was devastated through 19 days of sleep training, is now a happy child who is slowly but progressively learning how to sleep most nights. I would highly recommend this book, along with Anni Gethin's "Helping Baby Sleep," and Pinky McKay's "Sleeping Like a Baby" to any parents who are looking for a gentle, peaceful, and loving way to grow with your child.
on June 5, 2003
I've read the two popular sleep books by male doctors and was very dissapointed - they don't seem to understand what's in a mother's heart. It's easy for them to advise a parent to let a baby cry from a distance, but so hard to implement it when every pore in your body screams that it's wrong -- when it is the little love of your life who is crying desperately. Ms. Pantley is a mother and a woman. She has had four babies, and she truly understands that while sleep is important, letting your baby cry is impossible for some of us, as it was for her. Her book is an answer to my prayers. It is filled with kind, loving ideas that feel right to me. I am only a week into it but am already seeing improvement in my baby's sleeping, and I am amazed that it is happening without any crying at all. I have also learned so much about my baby's sleep, that I was able to clearly understand why he hasn't been sleeping well. I plan to give this book to every pregnant friend of mine, since my only wish is that I would have bought it sooner.
on March 24, 2004
Just to say how great the "no cry sleep solution" is. I did not discover the book until 2mths ago and what a difference it has made to my sons sleeping habits! My son has been an awful sleeper since birth. He is now 22mths and has gone from;
*having no regular sleep pattern, being breastfed to sleep and waking up to six times a night to be fed
to;
*regular naptime, bedtime routine, falling to sleep with a story and sleeping most nights from 9.30pm to 7.30am.
I could not believe it (especially as he has been a poor sleeper for such a long time). I found the book very interesting to read and the ideas simple to implement. There is a section that tells you how to log progress and I found this a real help with keeping me focused.
I am so happy to find a book which actually looks at the needs of parents and children (rather than just encouraging parents to 'leave' the child to struggle with sleep). My only regret is that I didn't find the book earlier and could have saved myself, husband and most importantly, son from struggling with sleep issues for so long.
on April 9, 2004
I loved the title of this book. I want to be gentle and nurturing to my daughter, and so if there was an alternative to CIO I was all for it. I read the book cover to cover, several times, and prepared to commit to it.
Well, unfortunately, after 3 months of using the techniques mentioned, our sleep was worse, not better. We tried it from the time my daughter was 6 months old until she was 9 and a half months old, and during that time all of our sleep got worse and worse. The theories seemed wonderful....but for us they were only theories, and despite my desire to apply them to my daughter they did not work.(...) I gave the No Cry Sleep Solution three stars because I believe that it may work for some children and because it's a very thoughtful, sensitive approach to parenting....but it didn't work for our family.
on April 8, 2002
Elizabeth Pantley did it!! Without crying it out my son learned
how to sleep all night. I went for 16-plus months breastfeeding
my son all night long every 1.5, 2, 3, and 4 hours. It would
vary, but as he got older, he started waking more frequently.
I knew two things: I was committed to not letting him cry it out
and feel abandoned and I was committed to breastfeeding him to a
minimum of 2 years. When at wit's end, I found about about Elizabeth's method,
and it WORKED. IT WORKED. It took a little patience since he started when he was older 16, 17 months, but it worked. Oh, what a difference in my son when he also was not sleep deprived. I highly recommend this method and this book.
on March 30, 2015
The No Cry Sleep Solution is my go to book for exhausted parents.

As a mother of four, a long-time doula, as well as a doula trainer, I have found The No Cry Sleep Solution to be revolutionary in a long line of sleep books I've perused over the years. It strikes a healthy balance between the needs of the child, as well as the needs of parents. Between the extremes of "just go with it, this too shall pass" and "train that kid to sleep by letting them cry it out", The No Cry Sleep Solution offers us a gentler choice. It is like a sigh of relief for all sleep deprived parents, no matter how they feed their babies (breast or bottle) or where they choose to have them sleep (co-sleeping or in a crib in Baby's own room).

There is work involved. Elizabeth Pantley doesn't claim this method to be easy. But it is well worth the effort. Sleep deprivation is shown to be unhealthy for parents, and the Cry it Out method has mounting evidence showing it is not the healthiest choice for a developing infant, physically or emotionally. So somewhere in the middle we find the solution. With Pantley's constant encouragement and compassion, it can be done. Everyone sleeps, and babies don't cry unnecessarily. Win/win.

I have added The No Cry Sleep Solution as required reading for my MotherWit Postpartum Doula Training. Almost all parents have questions about "sleep training". Before they potentially embark upon harsher methods out of desperation, we encourage parents to explore a gentle approach to getting their need for a good night of sleep with realistic expectations. This book fulfills those needs.

Lesley Everest
MotherWit Doula Care
on June 3, 2014
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution Enhanced Ebook (Kindle Edition with Audio/Video)
As a health care professional who looks after very young babies for a living I thought I knew plenty about getting kids to sleep.So long as they were fed, changed, winded, cuddled enough and tired enough a small baby should have no problem going to sleep right? WRONG! My great ideas all changed a few short weeks after giving birth to my little guy. I soon realied that all that heartbreaking crying in the evening was due to the poor little fella being desperately overtired and I didn't have a clue about night time routines or ways to get him to take naps. As a professional and a human being I can't think of anything more inhumane than leaving a tiny baby to cry himself to sleep. When I saw this book recommended by Ina May Gaskin I knew it would be nothing but gentle and I was right. Ms Pantley's ideas are so sensible, she creates realistic expectations and doesn't promise miracles but with a bit of hard work and using her ideas it is possible to get your baby to sleep better. I'm especially glad that she doesn't advocates demand feeding for breastfeeders. So many sleep training books promote scheduled feeds and as a midwife I know that this practice can be detrimental to a baby's health.
on November 15, 2002
A refreshing alternative to the "quick fix" and damaging cry-it-out approaches that have been so popular of late. This is the first book I've read (and believe me, I've read a shelfload in the effort to get some shuteye) that works *with* a baby's natural and necessary tendencies instead of against them. Pantley offers real-life solutions, with real-life feedback from real-life moms. She acknowledges the uniqueness of all babies as well as the patterns that are typical to most, and offers a menu of possible things to try. This is the book for the informed parent who wants to know *why* her baby is having trouble sleeping, wants to know how to help her without damaging the parental/child bond, knows there are no ultra-fast magic methods -- and won't fall for the checkout-lane "get your baby to sleep in five easy (cruel and heart-wrenching) steps." This is important stuff and can't be dealt with in 50 pages...so it's well worth your time to read the parts of the book that are relevant to your situation. Highly recommended...by a (now) well rested family!