Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

The Object Primer: Agile Model-Driven Development with UML 2.0
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$87.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

The author has an excellent pedagogical style. As a result, this book is easy to read. Another plus is that the book covers a lot of ground, including the development spectrum (requirements, analysis, design, coding, testing, etc.), GUI modeling, data modeling, and database modeling, so most readers will be broadened by reading it. Another plus is that the author regularly shares what he has learned from personal experience. I found two minor annoyances. First, CONSTANTLY being reminded to produce models that are "just barely good enough" was like Chinese water torture. Secondly, the book practices what it preaches: instead of depicting models drawn using automated tools, in many cases the book depicts models drawn on a whiteboard by human hand, because that's "good enough." The problem is that in many cases I didn't find it good enough because the penmanship was such that I had a hard time reading the handwriting. Bottom line: if you want an up-to-date, introductory book that covers a lot of ground, this book has a lot of meat in it, it won't put you to sleep, and you'll almost certainly learn something.
on April 16, 2004
This is an excellent book that deserves to be on your short list of books about modelling...especially beginners. It continually drives home the point that UML and modelling are means to end (working software), not an end by itself.
The author explains each UML diagram, with examples of how and when to use it. However, this is not a dry reference. He freely expresses his opinions and experience about how useful these diagrams are in the real world. How refreshing!
UML can be overwhelming for beginners. This book shows that it doesn't have to be.
on February 17, 2013
I bought this book with some expectation, to understand more about UML and OOP development.
The preface of the book under the paragraph "Why Read The Object Primer ?"
Probably the author throw a bunch of words only to make the book thick.
1)There isn't a sequence I could learn from,
2)I had to buy other books to understand the concepts which "The Object Primer" failed to present.
3) The book lacks a sequential process with defined phases,
4) the diagrams are manually done and after read the book I couldn't know what comes first,
should I start with and class diagram or with a Activity diagram.

5)There isn't a valid study of case, the author jumps around throwing disconnected concepts
6)Fail to give any example in Java or C# as was promised in the Preface
7)There is nothing about "practical skill" as the author offers in the preface again.

I would say that for $66, I really can find better books.
I have to translate what the author tried to say
For me it is a book without useful value, just one more in my shelf instead on my desk.
on March 31, 2004
Scott's other books are really good (like "Elements of UML Style"), but it seems that he decided to take a vacation with this one.
I had to use the previous version for class and hated it then for the hard-to-read text (incomplete, convoluted sentences, unclear examples, etc.), and it seems that not much has changed now.
Sure, he's updated to include AM, but if you're looking for a clear, understanable text for the beginner, you might look elsewhere. If you already know the material, this is probably not a good reference.
on July 6, 2004
Have you ever read a book where halfway through it, your expectations begin dwindle because the author either did not cover the topic or promises to cover it in more detail in later chapters, but never does? If you ever feel this way about a book, then this is the perfect examples of those types of books.
After reading the synopsis and browsing some of the crude methods that I can assimulate with when I was performing requirements modeling, I thought this book might come in handy. After close scrutiny, I was very disappointed by the authors lack of knowledge in UML. A lot of what was presented was very superficial, and the explanations were lacking in terms of it presentation of each of the models in UML. I should have stuck with the three authors (Jacobson, Booch, and Rumbaugh) who were the original designers of UML.