The Pregnancy Bible, with 300,000 copies sold, is the most attractive and complete guide to this important event in parents' lives.
This updated edition includes authoritative information about the latest developments on a number of significant issues affecting the well-being of an expectant mother and her baby. Specifically, these include:
- Revisions to the FDA/USDA food pyramid
- New CDC recommendations about mercury and fish
- Update on nuchal translucency screening
- Update on screening for genetic disorders (in particular in the Ashkenazi Jewish population)
- Updated information about loss rates after amniocentesis
- The availability of ancillary testing when undergoing CVS/ amnio (like aneuploidy FISH and microdeletion FISH)
- New information about 3D/4D ultrasound
- A new emphasis on the importance of reporting domestic violence
- Recent trends in cesarean delivery "on demand"
- The importance of keeping vaccinations up to date
- Updated information on teeth whitening
- An updated section on the "breech" position
- Update on Down syndrome screening.
The Pregnancy Bible covers the complete sequence of fetal development in utero week by week. Each stage is illustrated with full color photography. Many photos are life-size and reproduced from state-of-the-art ultrasound images. The book also uses step-by-step illustrations, sidebars, practical suggestions, topics to discuss, checklist charts, quick-reference gatefold spreads, check-up calendars, a directory and other easy-to-access information and advice to guide expectant parents through the pregnancy, birth and early infancy.
American Reference Books Annual praised The Pregnancy Bible for its "easy-to-understand style that will especially appeal to first-time parents." It is an essential addition to public and consumer health library collections and one that customers will request by name.