- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Routledge Creative Writing Coursebook Paperback – Feb 10 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Paul Mills teaches creative writing to u/gs and p/gs at York St John College. He has held writing fellowships at Leeds and Manchester universities and a Fulbright Teaching exchange fellowship in the US. He is a published poet and dramatist.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
The book is replete with a lot of very poor philosophising. The philosophising itself is unavoidable, I suppose, but it needn't be sub-par. Here it houses self-referential missteps and nested inconsistencies. At one point, within the space of a paragraph, the author seems to espouse both mind-body dualism and physicalism. His treatment of memory is also shallow and ill-conceived.
Yet maybe we can forgive him the philosophical blunders. After all, he's a simple writer and not a philosopher. However, he also falters where we would expect him to be strong - on language. For instance, in discussing metaphor his prime example is not a metaphor at all but an analogy. ("Doesn't he know the difference?" I thought.) Worst of all, in my view, was his off-the-mark chapter on children's fiction. It lacked all insight and penetration.
It could possibly have been worse, so I gave the thing two stars. But, needless to say, I do not recommend it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference > Reading & Writing
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Publishing & Books > Authorship
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition