boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage march snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$36.88+ $3.49 shipping

on May 31, 2004
Director: David Mickey Evans
Cast: Karen Allen, Dennis Leary, James Earl Jones, Arliss Howard, Tom Guirney
Running Time: 100 minutes.
Rated PG for some slapstick humor and some language.
"The Sandlot" is a great youth film that will keep the parents entertained as well, making it one of the few family sports films that not either too cheesy for adults to enjoy or too suggestive to be appropriate for children. Set in the 1950's or so in a normal suburban town, Tom Guirney plays a short, shy kid who has just moved to the new neighborhood. He has always struggled with making friends, but eventually he gets involved with a group who love to play the good ol' American pasttime.
The group (which consists of many hilarious and memorable youngsters) go through many trials and tribulations together--chewing their first slab of tobacco while riding on a devastating roller-coaster, giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to one of the hottest girls in the history of the world, retreiving a special Babe Ruth autographed baseball that has been snatched up by the child-eating neighborhood pooch, and trying to beat the stuck-up traveling baseball team. When it is all said and done, "The Sandlot" is an above average tale of the joys of childhood and using the great game of baseball as its playing field. There are some hilarious scenes throughout, fine acting by the young cast, and a well-scripted screenplay that will make those of all ages laugh. A true gem of a family tale.
on October 9, 2003
Back in 1993, two movies involving baseball and children, The Sandlot and Rookie of the Year, came out in the theaters about the same time, both being released by Twentieth Century Fox. I remember Rookie of the Year was pushed hard by the studio while The Sandlot got much less advertising and publicity, which was too bad because I always thought The Sandlot was a much better film.
Scotty Smalls, his mother (Karen Allen), and his step dad (Dennis Leary) just moved into the neighborhood and Scotty is having problems acclimating himself to his social surroundings. An intelligent boy (an egghead), he lacks certain abilities most boys have, like knowing how to catch and throw a ball, any basic baseball rules, or who's the Great Bambino. The movie does an excellent job in providing just enough depth into these characters to provide a sense of the family dynamic given that Allen and Leary have limited screen time.
In attempting to join a neighborhood pick up game, Scotty's lack of rudimentary baseball skills is made painfully apparent, to which all the boys except Bennie, the best player of the bunch, let their derisive comments fly. Bennie, feeling a bit sorry for the new kid, gives Scotty a couple of tips and a little extra help in a well hit fly ball that gives Scotty a measure of confidence and helps bring him into the gang.
Once Scotty's accepted into the group the movie delves into a plot involving a priceless baseball and a local dog with a mythical reputation. What I really liked was how all the boys came together to help a friend in need, and it was an automatic response. If someone in the circle needs help, the group rallies around, regardless, as they would have done the same for any other member. While a seemingly natural trait in children (atleast in this movie), it seems to be one that becomes lost as we grow older, as seen in Scotty's step dad and his reluctance to play catch with Scotty because he has too much work and doesn't have the time.
What's so great about this movie is while it's set in the 50's, the story appeals to most anyone. Whether or not we all had that one great summer or just fond remembrances of childhood friends and activities in general, the movie serves to help recall days when things were simple, and summers were made up of endless possibilities. While watching this movie, I thought about friends I had when I was a kid, phrases we used, nicknames, activities, etc.
No real extras on this disc, but a great presentation of a wonderful movie. My favorite part involved one of the boys called Squints, a smaller boy with great, big glasses, and scene with curvaceous, older, female lifeguard at the local pool.
on March 5, 2004
Enough of the reviews!!! Just go buy this dvd. It's worth every penny you spend. You'll be so sorry you weren't able to buy when it's available.
I first saw this movie on a free tv channel. I was dumbstruck right away. How can a movie this good been passed up by moviegoers? It's a terrible mistake! I first have this movie on laserdisc. Yes, those big movie disc that needs to be turned over to finish it. So big and bulky and now so phased out.
When I learned that it was available in dvd format, I grabbed one right away and now my son is enjoying it no end. The dialogue alone between Hamilton and Phillips in the baseball field is good enough to waste your $14. After that scene, everything is a bonus!
A lot of things can be said about this small and underrated movie. But until you watched it, you haven't enjoyed the undeniably feel good movie about kids, friendships, sports, and life itself.
Go ahead, it's ok to do so.
on December 5, 2014
Good clean humour. This is an amazing movie for the entire family. It is funny, nostalgic and can be enjoyed by all ages. I am not even a baseball fan and although it is built around a baseball theme, it is more about the life lessons that kids can learn together with friends and as they mature. I bough this movie to keep in our collection and pull it out to watch a couple of times a year, it never gets old and it always makes me laugh!
on February 8, 2014
Saw this years ago and knew I had to share it with my husband and he enjoyed it as much as I did as it is such a well made movie and always nice to see kids in a movie and just good old fun.
on April 27, 2004
Hey!
I saw this movie and oh my, I had to keep watching it over and over, and over and guess what? OVER! Its soooooooooooo fuuny and its just to cute to keep to myself so that why I had to write this! Its a family movei ALL the way!!! Can't beat it! Thanks for reading so now go get it!=)
on May 19, 2004
My aunt sent this to my son when he was 2.
We live in France where baseball isn't played but
he LOVED the movie. He's almost 6 and he's seen it at
least 50 times. Now his 3 year old sister loves it.
It's just a great story.
I like it because is shows him my American culture.
on July 30, 2003
One of the single best baseball films of all time. Like another reviewer said, it's simple. That's what makes this movie so great. It doesn't matter if the audience is young or old, this movie has lasting quality because it speaks to the child in all of us. What young man didn't grow up loving and playing the game of Baseball? The story in this film draws the viewer in by telling the story in the perspective of the outcast character "Smalls" to teach the audience not about the game of baseball but rather the Love of Baseball. "Smalls" goes from the average outcast new kid to a member of the ragtag team by the end of the movie and all through it facing some of the worst challenges of any young boy. "Smalls" hits the first home run of his life, this then becomes the major plot point for the rest of the film. The ragtag group could simply knock on the door of the house to get their ball back but instead choose to face their bigger fear of retrieving their ball from the back yard residence of the beast, a giant dog. This film carries with it the theme every average kid growing up is also faced with that of moving to a new town, making new friends and ultimately making difficult decisions to challenge one's own worst fears and eventually become a better person for it. There's no real bad guy here just a group of young athletes who share a common ground with each other, The Sandlot. Together they face the odds, including a rival official company sponsored little league team and showing what the true meaning of Team Spirit is. "Squints" best sums up the lasting value of this film in one word, "FOREVER!"
on July 10, 2003
My review of the DVD will be biased because 'The Sandlot' is my all-time favorite. I generally enjoy movies that require deep thought and understanding, with intricate plots and extensive character development. 'The Sandlot' doesn't really fit what my standards of a Solid Good movie are, it's a fine exception. I bought the DVD mainly for its convenience (since I rarely use VHS),because - really - the movie in any form, would satisfy me. The Special Features didn't seem enough to be categorized as such (mainly just the trailers and one feauturette) but I didn't mind, because the movie is where it's at. I was born in the 80s, so I have no physical connection to the 60s, the decade in which the movie primarily takes place. And I was never (before this movie) particularly interested in baseball, the sport in which the story revolves. But none of that matters. The movie brings you to the decade, it brings you to the game. It's fun, warm-hearted, and relateable. Tom Guiry does an awesome job at portraying the insecure and seemingly geeky new kid Scotty Smalls. His character contrasts, yet agrees well with Mike Vitar's Bennie Rodriguiz, the cool kid, who doesn't need to try. I don't want to get into all the characters, they're all just so much fun. They lived one hell of a summer, one that I wish I could have lived. You can read other reviews for the story. I'm done. Rent it, buy it, or borrow it from me :)
on September 23, 2002
I saw this movie in the theatre when it first came out back in 1993. I loved it then, when I was 12, and I still love it today when I'm 21. This is a story about a boy named Scott Smalls who just moved to town and has no friends. He is also interested in baseball but has never played. His stepfather keeps promising him he'll teach him how to play catch but never seems to have time until one day when Scott's mom convinces him to take a few minutes from his busy day to teach him. It is not easy at all because Scott seems to not have much, if any, athletic talent.
The next day after he is taught how to throw and catch he's tested when the town superstar athlete, Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, who also just happens to be his next door neighbor, invites him to play baseball with him and his friends. They are eight kids who are just awesome at baseball. They just play for fun all day long, every day. This story is mainly about an incident that these guys get into that is started when Scott steals a baseball from his step-father's trophy room. This is no ordinary baseball, it's a ball signed by Babe Ruth! The Babe Ruth. And they actually play a game with it! That is until Scott happens to hit his first ever ball over the fence and into the yard of the biggest, meanest dog in the town! I won't give anything else away, you'll just have to watch and see if they get it back or not and if so just how they do it. I highly recommend this for people of all ages but especially for those 12 and under who love the game of baseball.