- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Art and Science of Java Paperback – Feb 19 2007
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Eric Roberts is a professor of computer science at Stanford University and author of several Addison-Wesley books, including The Art and Science of C and Programming Abstractions in C. Eric is well known for his leadership role in CS Education—he won the 2003 SIGCSE Award for Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education, as well as many teaching awards at Stanford.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Stanford Engineering Everywhere
It takes a little elbow grease for the amateur to figure out how to link in libraries etc... but once this is done- you can delve into some meaningful [useful] programing examples early on. My plug for this book is as much for the corresponding class videos and handouts as it is for the book- which when combined together offer a great set of tools for learning computer programing and java. Once through the book and class materials [videos and homework] the student should be able to graduate on to more advanced java books without trouble.
...and if you're going through the Stanford lectures- you can ignore the first several assignments involving KARL and just start with the java assignments.
It uses the acm library, which makes it harder to get help online.
It is expensive compared to other popular books on java.
Other than that, it has some decents chapters, so I give it three stars.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Java
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Object-Oriented Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages