- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Standard Model: A Primer Hardcover – Dec 25 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"An elegant and complete treatment of the Standard Model at tree level... The first good, modern treatment of the Standard Model, in a format suited for a one or two semester course on particle physics for beginning or graduate students."
Daniel N. Kabat, Mathematical Reviews
The standard model brings together two theories of particle physics in order to describe the interactions of subatomic particles, except those due to gravity. This 2006 book uses the standard model as a vehicle for introducing quantum field theory and also introduces much of the phenomenology on which this model is based.See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Its best part of is the Electro-Weak synthesis, but recent experiments show that neutrinos have mass.
In the original Eletro-Weak Theory, the Nobel-Prized one, neutrinos ( electron, muon and tauon) were massless.
So, something had to be done to cope with the new facts.
It is easy: the solar neutinos have mass, but the Electro-Weak ones do not have it !!!
One kind of neutrinos is a "rotated" version of the other. ( See Griffiths 2nd edition ).
If you can not detect quarks, no problem: they are confined inside the hadrons; if you try to separate them
you simply create new hadrons.
All the Standard Model particles are said to have been experimentally found: the six quarks (never found alone) and even a Higgs-like boson, but several physicists are already speaking of a beyond Standard Model Physics.
Well, it seems that there is, still, a lot of work to do to fix the present theory.
Popper criterium for a scientific theory requires that it must be falsefiable: the theory must predict a result
that,if not found, would reject it.
The way the Particle Physics is being done is no longer a scientific one: no matter what result is experimenatlly
found, it will not cause the rejection of the theory.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Mathematical Physics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Nuclear Physics
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Education > Experiments & Projects
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Mathematical Physics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Nuclear Physics > Particle Physics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics