The Thin Commandments Diet Cd: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss Audio CD – Abridged, Audiobook
|New from||Used from|
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Dr. Stephen Gullo received his doctorate in psychology from Columbia University, and for more than a decade, he was a professor and researcher at Columbia University Medical Center. He is the former chair of the National Obesity and Weight Control Education Program of the American Institute for Life-Threatening Illness at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. His first book, Thin Tastes Better, was a national bestseller. Dr. Gullo is currently president of the Institute for Health and Weight Sciences' Center for Healthful Living in New York City.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Then think about treating yourself to Stephen Gullo's CD of "The Thin Commandments Diet."
This is absolutely the best information I've run across on dieting (habitual eating). Just one of his tips has already saved me thousands of calories. (When you think you might be tempted to eat but know you don't really want or need the food, slip a Listerine breath strip into your mouth--he's right all desire for food vanishes!)
Briefly, the thin commandments are:
1) Strategy is stronger than willpower. While he gives you general suggestions that may apply to everyone, he also helps you figure out what your strategies should be for your particular eating issues.
2) Think historically, not just calorically. He helps you understand that a Thin Mint isn't 80 calories if eating "just one" leads you to eat the entire box.
3) The problem may be in the food, not in you. He presents the newest research on the connection between genetics and food cravings.
4) Structure gives control. He tells you what to snack (and when!) and gives you suggestions on how to put together a "Thin Pack" so you never get caught ravenous with only fast food options to quench your hunger.
5) Separate mood from food. He gives some great suggestions on how to talk yourself out of mood eating.
6) Take control of your favorite foods. He elaborates on the strategies of "boxing in" (having your favorite foods only under certain circumstances or on certain days of the week) and "boxing out" (deciding that a certain food doesn't work for you and you'd rather choose omitting it from your life than wearing it around an expanded waistline).
7) Slips should teach you, not defeat you. He explores the various methods of working through a slip-up in a way that puts you back in control quickly.
8) Stop feeling deprived. He helps you understand that choosing to be thin isn't a deprivation--it's a source of joy that you freely choose.
9) Treat your calories like dollars. He introduces the concept of "calorienomics" and tells you how to get the best "deals" (including what foods burn the most calories while they are digested).
10) Losing weight is half the job; keeping it off is the other half. He walks you through the nine steps you'll want to take to keep the weight off (number 1 is "wear tight or form-fitting clothes").
However good all this information may sound, I'm not even close to conveying how helpful this CD is.
Are there some things I don't agree with? Yes, he doesn't spend that much time on portion sizes (other than saying it's possible to fail to lose weight because you're eating too much of the right foods). And he doesn't give nearly enough emphasis to exercise,IMHO.
There's a book by the same name that contains a lot more information than the CD. I've got that too and would also recommend it. Specifically I think I remember some information better when I see a list than when I just hear it, and the book has more anecdotes that make the commandments come alive.
But the CD (three discs) is something you can pop in the car and listen to on your commute or at the gym as you pound out an additional ten minutes on the elliptical. And the information on the CD goes into your brain in a different way. Already in certain challenging situations I hear Stephen Gullo's voice telling me I can choose to be thin.
Treat yourself to this CD! You'll be glad you did.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > General
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Health, Mind & Body > General
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Maintenance
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition