Compare Offers on Amazon
The Untouchables: Season One, Vol. 1 (Bilingual)
|List Price:||CDN$ 18.99|
|Price:||CDN$ 14.97 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
|You Save:||CDN$ 4.02 (21%)|
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Actors: Abel Fernandez - Nicholas Georgiade - Paul Picerni - Robert Stack - Walter Winchell. Format: DVD. Format Size: Fullscreen. Runtime: 805 Mins. Language: English. Subtitle: English Subtitles. Region code: Region 1 (United States Canada Bermuda U.S. territories). Discs: 4. Rating: Unrated. Genre: TV. Subgenre: TV. Release Year: 1959.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The Untouchables succeeded for a number of reasons. First, the veil that had been on the Mafia for a number of years was slowly but surely being peeled off due to gangland killings and the fame of gangsters such as Al Capone, Bugsy Siegel, Dutch Schultz, Lucky Luciano, and others. Even before the Godfather and its outstanding first sequel, the public had a fascination and curiosity with the mob. So take some true events, ture characters, heavily fictionalize them with Hollywood gloss and pathos, and you get a very successful show that made a star out of Robert Stack and brought new fame to a Treasury agent named Eliot Ness.
The Untouchables' First Season collection should not have been split up into multiple sections. That's greed, pure and simple. But the lure of this show - its great characters, performances, grit and intelligence will draw buyers even though they know they're being ripped off. Stack's Ness is one of the best alltime detectives - fearless, relentless, and absolutely ruthless with the bad guys. His politically correct team had everything but a black guy (which would have really stretched believability too far), including a white guy (Hobson), Italian (Rossi), Native American (Youngfellow), and Jew (Rossman). The supporting casts were always excellent, and Bruce Gordon brough the right amount of humor and menace to Frank Nitti, Capone's chief lieutenant.
The Untouchables - Season One, Volume 1 is not untouchable, but it is irresistable.
Paramount's new releases are something to be proud of. While the DVD sets do not as of yet boast any bonus features (with the exception of the Desilu/Westinghouse intros for The Scarface Mob), one can surmise that a continued success of the series on DVD may inspire some additions in later releases.
The prints and sound are astoundingly clear; gone are those muddy prints from syndicated 16mm films dubbed to VHS. The DVD menus are replete with decent (but static) artwork with only a few questionable arrangements. It seems they took anything they could out of the vault to put these things together.
No chapter menus, but each commercial break becomes a new chapter, quick and easy to jump to.
The only drawback is the extended WAIT for the next installment of Season 1. We have to wait until DECEMBER 18th for the rest of the season and it's stellar episodes, where the production value heightened and writers finally found their mark (see "The Frank Nitti Story," "One Armed Bandits," or "The Unhired Assassin for proof of a show hitting its stride.)
Bring on Seasons 2 and 3, and yes, even the maligned Season 4. Get Bruce Gordon and the others together for interviews, dig through those archives for the teasers, commercicals, keep Ness and his men coming, tommy guns and brewery-smashing trucks a'blazin!
This is cinematic television worthy of study and enjoyment.
1) they are stunning transfers...crisp beautiful black and white noirish masterpieces every one!
2) The intros from Desi Arnaz and Walter Winchell on the pilot episode are nice touches
3) the packaging is sensational! All four DVDs (no flippers!) in a case the size of a normal DVD case that holds one film...so this is a fabulously small shelf space hog!
4) while the whole season would be preferred ....13 hours for about $30...is pretty good value for my money...
5) Robert Stack is and was a very unique talent and the guest stars are a who's who of great character actors and budding stars!
I agree with the gentleman from VA....This had better not be a tease. We'll be waiting for the remaining 3 seasons of this masterpiece.
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Crime
- Movies & TV > Drama
- Movies & TV > En français > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller > Action
- Movies & TV > En français > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller > Policier et Thriller
- Movies & TV > En français > Drame
- Movies & TV > En français > Téléséries, Documentaires & Divers
- Movies & TV > Mystery & Suspense > Crime
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > Classic TV
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > Drama
- Movies & TV > TV Shows > TV Series > TV Series By Letter > U > The Untouchables