march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

We all know the story of the brilliant yet tortured Van Gogh. His mind blowing creativity was only matched by bouts of deeply destructive depression. We've also become accustomed to hearing gossip about rock stars, artists, actors, and writers whose drug use, alcoholism, or suicide make the evening news. It seems the pairing of creativity and self destruction is a natural one.

The Van Gogh Blues doesn't seek to break this stereotype. Instead, it looks to examine the reason why creative people tend to have such extreme highs and lows. The answer seems so obvious that most of us probably would never have thought of it.

People who create tend to put all of their effort into their work. I do it myself, I can sit for hours and just type fully immersed in my own words and thoughts. Having such clarity of focus and such a single minded drive is fantastic.

However, once the project is complete, the creating is done. Suddenly, there is no more purpose. The individual is suddenly lost without any sort of direction. I can relate. I always know it's time to get back to my writing when I start to get depressed. Over time, I've learned that I have to a project. I have to create.
on January 7, 2015
as a visual artist, this helped me tremendously when I was in a deep depression a few years back... got me back out of the hole and into the studio again.
on October 12, 2015
Not finished yet, but so far I'm finding it a great source of inspiration as well as a 'tough love' way of looking at my depression that's digestible and easily taken to heart.
on September 13, 2015
The most personally helpful book of my adult life.
on May 26, 2013
A great book for all of us depressed artists who think we can do nothing with our lives.
Paint...Paint
If Van Gogh can do it, without an ear, so can we.