The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating Paperback – Apr 27 2010
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Rebecca Wood has served as an educational consultant to the natural foods industry for fifteen years. She is co-founder and Director of the macrobiotic East-West Center in Boulder, Colorado, and the author of The Splendid Grain and Quinoa the Supergrain.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
That said, there are two downsides I would like to comment on:
1) The benefits of this book can only be maximized with a solid understanding of TCM theory, such as yin-yang and five elements theory. The authors give you a primer on these topics but in my opinion the subject matter can be too abstract for a beginner to understand without outside help, and so the remainder of the book's content may be lost on the reader. This is not a book that breaks down foods into vitamin and mineral types, which I feel some readers may expect to find when they buy it; rather, it looks at foods based on their yin/yang profile, interactions with the Zangfu according to TCM theory, and their temperature profile.
2) The authors place unusual emphasis on vegetarianism. I do tend to agree that reducing meat in one's diet can lead to a healthier outcome in lifestyle, but this is not universally true of all patients.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
An amazing reference for writing articles and posts about food. I adore this and use it all of the time.Published 17 months ago by Ashley Pharazyn
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Reference
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet > Healthy
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Cooking
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Medical
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Special Conditions > Whole Foods
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition > Healthy Cooking
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Reference
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Reference > Medical Encyclopedias