The iOS 5 Developer's Cookbook: Core Concepts and Essential Recipes for iOS Programmers (3rd Edition) Paperback – Nov 14 2011
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Erica Sadun is the bestselling author, coauthor, and contributor to several dozen books on programming, digital video and photography, and other technology topics. Sadun has authored dozens of iPhone-native applications, offers rapid-prototype consulting, and has blogged for many sites including Ars Technica, O’Reilly, and LifeHacker. She currently blogs regularly for TUAW. She holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Georgia Tech.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The author does a good job explaining the topic. She is very detailed and does not skim through the subjects assuming you have some prior knowledge. The downside is if you want to start development right away, the book does not start with a project example until chapter 3 and 4 (page 126 & 192, the book is 743 pages long). If you are looking for a reference type book, this book is great. If you want a quick "how-to", try looking at the "Heads First" series when they update their book with IOS 5 (2012?). Also, is it true the book contains a few typos, but not enough to detract from the topic.
If you choose not to buy this one, make sure you choose a book that is updated with IOS 5. The project examples in the IOS 4 books I found to be outdated and hard to follow with Xcode 4.2 (the IDE for IPhone development). Xcode added two new features, storyboarding and ARC, which is only discussed in books dealing with IOS 5.
Here's the chapter layout of the book:
1) Introducing the IOS SDK - Overview of the IPhone/IPad hardware, SDK, and it's programming paradigm
2) Objective-C Boot Camp - Discuss `Objective C' from a `C' perspective and the new Objective 2.0 features (ARC, etc)
3) Building Your First Project -Guides your through a simple project showing you Xcode, the debugger, and other tools
4) Designing Interfaces - Discuss IOS's library of visual classes and shows how to create an app with the new storyboard feature and by hand
5) Working With View Controllers - "Discover the various view controller classes" (Quotes are straight from the book)
6) Assembling View and Animation - "Introduces IOS views"
7) Working with Images - "Introduces images, specifically the UIImage class"
8) Gestures and Touches - "Introduces direct manipulation interfaces, multitouch, and more"
9) Building and Using Controls - "Introduces controls and their use" (buttons, sliders, and switches)
10) Working with Text -"Introduces everything you need to know to work with IOS text" (text fields, text views, Core Text abilities)
11) Creating and Managing Table Views - "shows how IPhone tables work, what kind of tables are available"
12) A Taste of Core Data
13) Alerting the User - "shows how to build these indications" (pop-up dialogs, progress bars, local notifications, popovers, and audio pings)
14) Device Capabilities - "looks at the device from its build configuration to its active onboard sensors"
15) Networking - "Surveys common techniques for network computing and offers recipes that simplify day-to-day tasks"
This information is conveniently missing from the Amazon description of the book.
Fat book, but sometimes I need to go somewhere else to found solution/example.
Rich, updated, and easy to understand, it's awesome...
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Apple > Mac Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > Peripherals
- Books > Computers & Technology > Mobile Phones, Tablets & E-Readers > Handheld & Mobile Devices
- Books > Computers & Technology > Mobile Phones, Tablets & E-Readers > Programming & App Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Data in the Enterprise > Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages