It has come to our attention that problems occurred during the production process of The iOS 5 Developer's Cookbook . The scope of the error is widespread. Our processing tools stripped out bits of code from listings and examples in the book. Since the electronic books are generated from the files we send to the printer, all eBook versions (including Kindle, EPUB, and PDF) were also affected.
Please rest assured that the content is up to Erica Sadun's exceptional standards. We have resolved the production issues internally. We will be reprinting and producing new eBook versions of The iOS 5 Developer's Cookbook this week. The problems we encountered do not affect the sample code that Erica hosts on her GitHub repository; this is a print/eBook-only issue.
While we take every measure to avoid problems such as this, sometimes these things do happen. On behalf of Erica, and from all of Pearson, we regret this unfortunate incident. We assure you that we take this very seriously and that we have taken every measure to ensure this won't happen again.
Very soon, we will provide customers who have purchased the current printing with information on identifying whether your book was affected. We will explain how to obtain a replacement. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you for your patience while we prepare the reprint and new eBook editions.
Please check here (InformIT.com/ios5update) and on Erica's site (ericasadun.com) for more information.
The iOS 5 Developer’s Cookbook, Third Edition
Covers iOS 5, Xcode 4.2, Objective-C 2.0’s ARC, LLVM, and more!
In this book, bestselling author and iOS development guru Erica Sadun brings together all the information you need to quickly start building successful iOS apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Sadun has thoroughly revised this book to focus on powerful new iOS 5 features, the latest version of Objective-C, and the Xcode 4 development tools.
The iOS 5 Developer’s Cookbook, Third Edition is packed with ready-made code solutions for the iOS 5 development challenges you’re most likely to face, eliminating trial-and-error and helping you build reliable apps from the very beginning. Sadun teaches each new concept and technique through robust code that is easy to reuse and extend. This isn’t just cut-and-paste: Using her examples, Sadun fully explains both the “how” and “why” of effective iOS 5 development.
Sadun’s tested recipes address virtually every major area of iOS development, from user interface design to view controllers, gestures and touch, to networking and security. Every chapter groups related tasks together, so you can jump straight to your solution, without having to identify the right class or framework first. Coverage includes:
- Mastering the iOS 5 SDK, Objective-C essentials, and the iOS development lifecycle
- Designing and customizing interfaces with Interface Builder and Objective-C
- Organizing apps with view controllers, views, and animations featuring the latest Page View controllers and custom containers
- Making the most of touch and gestures–including custom gesture recognizers
- Building and using controls from the ground up
- Working with Core Image and Core Text
- Implementing fully featured Table View edits, reordering, and custom cells
- Creating managed database stores; then adding, deleting, querying, and displaying data
- Alerting users with dialogs, progress bars, local and push notifications, popovers, and pings
- Requesting and using feedback
- Connecting to networks and services, handling authentication, and managing downloads
- Deploying apps to devices, testers, and the App Store