"This is War" (Deluxe Edition) is an extremely fun and exciting cd to listen to. I just received this cd yesterday, and I first got a chance to listen to it last night (I enjoy this cd so much that I listened to it again this morning). I am extremely glad that I took a chance on getting this deluxe edition of "This is War" by Thirty Seconds to Mars. I say this especially because I took a chance with buying a ticket to their upcoming concert in April near where I live before actually receiving this cd (I bought a ticket on March 7th, and received "This is War" deluxe edition on March 8th). What this has to do with the greatness of this band (and obviously their music) is that I went to purchase tickets online, and noticed that many of the seats to this concert sold out so fast that only the ground seats are left (even after I slyly attempted to see if different seats available). I went ahead and purchased a ticket to the ground floor seating area of their concert because of the strong sense that their music is going to be good (once again, I took a leap of faith before having this cd in my hands). After listening to this cd, I feel lucky (and happy) that I went with the idea to purchase a ticket to their upcoming concert even before listening to "This is War". The following is a summary of the song and dvd summary to help you see why I enjoy listening to these tracks and my obvious excitement about attending their concert (on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest rating). Please understand that the summary is my own personal interpretation and humble opinions on each of the musical gems of "This is War" (Deluxe Edition) by Thirty Seconds to Mars. I am very understanding and open-minded to the fact that there are going to be different views and opinons on these songs in variation with the person hearing all of these songs.
1. Escape (10 out of 10)- "Escape" is about letting your spirit roam free, living your life with as much freedom as you can allow, and turning over a new leaf in life.
2. Night of the Hunter (10 out of 10)- "Night of the Hunter" is a masterpiece musical creation about calmly embracing both light and darkness in one's life, and bringing together both for a powerful spiritual transformation. This song really resonated with me because it serves as a beautiful and healing reminder to transform all unexpected events and challenges into positive opportunities for increased wisdom and personal power. "Night of the Hunter" is a beautiful fusion of melodic drums, high-energy guitars, and a fantastic hybrid of rock and electronic music. "Night of the Hunter" is my third favorite song after the tracks of "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Closer to the Edge".
3. Kings and Queens (10 out of 10)- "Kings and Queens" sends the message to always expect the best for your life and future.
4. This is War (9 out of 10)- "This is War" is a powerful musical track about always remaining emotionally strong, and standing up for your rights and what you personally believe in.
5. 100 Suns (8 out of 10)- "100 Suns" is about having self-confidence in yourself, and seeing your own personal greatness.
6. Hurricane: (9 out of 10)- "Hurricane" is about having the passion for life, and helping others to the best of your ability.
7. Closer to the Edge (10 out of 10)- "Closer to the Edge" is a very high-energy song, and is one of the musical tracks that helped convince me to get the cd. I admit that I saw the video to this on tv, and I was convinced to hear more from this band when I picked up on the positive message of this video (follow your dreams and goals), and I noticed the passion and intensity coming from within the lead singer (Jared Leto) to deliver a meaningful and soul nourishing song.
8. Vox Populi (10 out of 10)- "Vox Populi" uses the term soldiers as a creative metaphor/concept to stand up for what you believe in, and follow your personal insights one may receive when they are called to action. In addition, "Vox Populi" contains good electronic music blended wonderfully with the lyrics and vocals of this song.
9. Search and Destroy (9 out of 10)- A catchy, uptempo, and energetic song about embracing change in your life, and to take whatever steps are needed to construct your life that is in alignment with your own personal happiness.
10. Alibi (10 out of 10)- "Alibi" is about pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps, and picking yourself back up regardless of how many times you may have to do so. "Alibi" is also a great quiet type of song that has a gorgeous blend of drums,piano, and guitar. In addition, this musical track is about embracing life with the energy of creative fire in your being.
11. Stranger in a Strange Land (10 out of 10)- "Stranger in a Strange Land" is a great musical track about the very daring acts that someone would carry through when influenced by the emotions of whatever they are feeling about the person in question. I admit that "Stranger in a Strange Land" is one of my favorite songs in this compilation.
12. L490 (7 out of 10)- I gave this a rating of at least 7 because the chanting in "L490" was harmoniously synchronized, but was minimal on music and words.
13. Bonus Track of "Hurricane" featuring Kanye West (9 out of 10)- This version also sends a beautiful message about loving life, helping out your fellow man, and making the best of your life. I feel that this musical collaboration between Jared Leto and Kanye West was very creative, and great to listen to.
14. Bonus Track of "Stronger" (a BBC live version that I rate 10 out of 10)- I really enjoyed Jared Leto's take on "Stronger". He really makes it his own by making it natural and believable when he sings about seducing the person he desires.
15. Bonus Track of "Bad Romance" (another BBC live version that I enthusiastically rate 10 out of 10)- Jared takes this musical masterpiece and skillfully makes it how own as well. He does a really excellent job of sounding extremely persuasive when he sings about wanting the person he desires, and doing it very admirably (again he sounds very seductive in this song, and the seduction side of him really shines in his version of "Bad Romance")
The dvd version has really good musical videos to "Closer to the Edge", "Kings and Queens", and the making of the "Kings and Queens" video (very exciting and interesting to watch). I say this because Jared demonstrates an abundance of passion and creativity in having everything turn out harmoniously, and it clearly shows when you watch in him action during the making of the video. The fact that he also showed an appreciation for the many fans that showed up to be a part of this was also very touching.
I strongly endorse purchasing "This is War" (deluxe edition) if you enjoy rock, pop, and/or electronic music. This deluxe version of "This is War" is well worth purchasing, and I very much look forward to going to their concert in April.