Three Plays: Naga-Mandala; Hayavadana; Tughlaq Hardcover – Sep 1 1995
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Girish Karnad is a well-known playwright, actor, film personality, and Chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Browse and search another edition of this book.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
He also introduces each of his three plays with a bit of explanation to help western theater enthusiasts understand the form of his plays. While I would usually not want to hear from any artist a prologue to the presentation of a piece of art, since the work of art, in my opinion, must stand alone on it's own merits without the intentions of the artist or any background information presented ahead of time; I found this somewhat helpful in this case, where foreign myths are involved. This book is written to help Westerners understand the current state of East Indian theater art while presenting this playwrights work. It might, otherwise, have let us pass it up as trivial without the historical background. After reading the entirety of this Book, it is easier to separate Bollywood from more creative works in India.
At a time when teaching any information through parable or myth is in question, since young minds tend to believe such mythical characters actually exist no matter how fantastic, I applaud this author for his work of attempting to update the content and presentation of Indian plays. In he case of India, where there are hundreds of gods who are more of less dealt with as though they truly exist, this is a refreshing idea that America could learn from. This author also seems to want to retain theater's ability to present large ideas effectively, and that too is laudable.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Theatre
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Theatre
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Drama
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Single Authors
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Botany
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Botany
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Botany