Toronto's Girl Problem: The Perils and Pleasures of the City, 1880-1930 Hardcover – May 25 1995
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'Its importance lies in the clarity of its thesis: Urbanization, far more than mere population concentration and economic reorganization, is a profound cultural transformation.'(Elaine S. Abelson The Journal of American History)
'Toronto's Girl Problem is a valuable addition to any urban studies bookshelf, as well as an irresistible delight to read.'(S. Warren Environment and Planning A)
'The tension Strange delineates between the image of innocent womanhood and fallen womanhood is fascinating for what it really says about the beliefs of the time. What emerges is a society that has difficulty believing in innocence. Innocence and independence are mutually exclusive. Pleasure-seeking and innocence are mutually exclusive.'(Wendy Mitchinson Journal of Social History)
'Carolyn Strange is to be commended for opening up a whole new vista of the history of Canadian women in urban contexts, in a scholarly yet highly readable and enjoyable manner.'(Katherine M.J. McKenna Canadian Journal of Urban Research)
About the Author
Carolyn Strange is a senior fellow in the Research School of Humanities at the Australian National University.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Unemployment
- Books > History > Americas > Canada > Province & Local
- Books > History > Canada > Province & Local
- Books > History > Historical Study > Social History
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Poverty > Social Services & Welfare
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Rural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Social Groups
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Urban
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Unemployment