As a child I was obsessed with the transformers, together with about 40 million other boys of my age. This whole concept of a vehicle that could transform into a humanoid form, wich not only had a deep character but also a form of spirituality, is very mind stimulating.
Transformers The Movie is a modern myth, like Star Wars, only Star Wars is very limited in comparison to the Transformers. Like all good myths this movie has certain universal themes, the latter I shall describe below:
- The battle between good and evil (Autobots vs Decepticons)
- That wich transcends and unites good and evil (the infinte danger of Unicron that would wipe out all existence).
- A secret power from within, a spiritual essence (the Autobotmatrix).
- The transcendence of the hero (HotRod becoming Rhodimus Prime).
- The transcendence of the villain (Megatron becoming Galvatron).
- The exploration of an unknown realm (Cup and HotRod visiting Quintessa).
- The victory over the subconciouss mind (when Cup and HotRod are thrown into the Sharkticon pool they even go deeper, and drive in circles, thus creating a vortex wich throws the water out giving them free game to battle the Sharkticons).
- True comradry and friendship (well, this is just all over the movie).
- The rise and fall of pride (Starscream's coronation).
These are just a few wich are displayed but I think you have to watch the movie and decide for yourself. I rate this movie five stars because it is such a wonderfull myth (but a myth wich is greatly animated and highly entertaining and has fantastic music). And yes, maybe there are a few flaws like Starscream losing his foot and two seconds later there's nothing wrong with him and yes I would like to see some Unicron history but these are all details.
Till all are One.......