Transgenic Animal Technology: Laboratory Handbook Paperback – Apr 5 1999
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"First and foremost, this is a book for "everyone" interested in technology. The contributing authors have gone to great lengths to make the methodology clear and understandable to anyone with a working knowledge of molecularbiology and embryology. Each chapter is well-illustrated with diagrams and photographs and is accompanied by an extensive bibliography. Potential problems and possible solutions are discussed in detail. The second unique aspect of this book is its state of the art coverage of transgenesis in vertebrate animal species other than mice... Each chapter is well integrated with the others and is sufficiently detailed to be useful. The editor and contributing authors are to be congratulated for putting this information together in an easy accessible format which is sure to stimulate further interest and development in the field."--THERIOGENOLOGY"Transgenic Animal Technology is a laboratory manual that documents detailed methods required toaccomplish the gene transfers necessary to produce animals with altered genetic characteristics."--JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY ASSOCIATION
About the Author
Dr. Pinkert joined the University of Alabama (UA) in 2013 where he serves as Vice President for Research and Economic Development, and where he is a tenured Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences.
He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Georgia and was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Pennsylvania. For over 30 years, his research revolved around animal modeling and transgenesis. He has published extensively on transgenic modeling, reproductive biology, and embryology of laboratory and domestic animals. His laboratory developed a number of enabling technologies for the genetic engineering of both nuclear and mitochondrial genomes, as well as mitochondrial modeling strategies to address human developmental and metabolic diseases.
He served as an editor of Transgenic Research on the editorial boards of five others. His research was funded by NIH, USDA, NSF, private foundations and industry. He was a Sigma Xi national lecturer from 1993-1995 and a recipient of the 1997 Doerenkamp-Zbinden Foundation Research Prize (awarded for biomedical research that significantly impacts on the welfare and well-being of animals used in research). He was elected a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in 2011. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
The 1970s and 1980s have witnessed a rapid advance of the application of genetic engineering techniques for increasingly complex organisms, from single-cell microbial and eukaryotic culture systems to multicellular whole animal systems. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Basic Sciences > Genetics
- Books > Medical Books > Veterinary Medicine > Small Animal Medicine
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Bioengineering > Biotechnology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Animal Husbandry
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Biotechnology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Genetics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Zoology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology > Developmental Biology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biotechnology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Genetics
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Mammals
- Books > Science & Math > Evolution > Genetics
- Books > Science & Math > Evolution > Molecular Biology
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Basic Science > Genetics
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Veterinary Medicine > Small Animal Medicine
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Mammals
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology > Animals > Mammals
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Natural History
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Basic Sciences > Genetics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Biology
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Zoology