Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on May 21, 2003
Very helpful. I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject (being a newcomer) and this book contains the essentials to getting started. I'm looking forward to my first Tri in a couple monthes. I bought the "Triathlete's Training Bible" first because I am comfortable with technical information. But, much of it I am not ready for being I'm still building a strong base. (It also is a good book).
Triathlon 101 will help me the most NOW. After a year, I'll be studying Friel's book again.
on April 24, 2000
The book does a very good job of providing the common sense information about a triathlon. It's a great motivational tool if you've never been involved in any endurance events. It also does a great job of encouragement for the middle and back of the pack athletes, especially since the author himself is a mere mortal like most of us and not a professional traithlete. However, a large portion of the book is dedicated to carbo loading, power gels, etc and if you are already a runner, cyclist, or swimmer this information is redundant. Also, I felt the training schedules were a little vague and too basic for someone already in good shape. This book is a great one to own, but it probably isn't enough to own only this one.
on February 11, 2004
As the title suggests, this is a great book for getting a comprehensive review of what it takes to run your first triathlon. If you are looking for one book that will cover all three areas of training and describe what it is really like to compete in a triathlon, this is it.
Although the author is an experienced triathlete, he avoids the tendency to digress too much into personal reflections, which many of the biography-style guides to triathlon do. The practical advice about equipment is very helpful and not tied to specific products. I found the section that talked about "the frugal triathlete" to be very refreshing.
The information on workouts is definitely enough to get anyone started, no matter what your background. I'm a swimmer who has never run before, and I am so pleased to be able to follow the "initiation" workouts for non-runners. The blank templates for workout schedules are also very handy.
This is a perfect book to get started with and is likely to remain relevant for years to come.
on August 23, 2001
When I first received this book and read through it, I rated it 3 stars. Howver, now that I have spent 6 months preparing for my first olympic distance triathlon, I have increased my rating to 5 stars based on the fact that I have turned back to this book over and over again to review the basics and keep on track.
This book is NOT for experienced triathletes, it is for beginners. The book, as so many that have reviewed it have noted, goes over only the essential ABC's of triathlon with quite a lot of "motivational" pieces thrown in to make it an interesting read. The best thing about having this book on my nightstand was that when I felt that I just wasn't training hard enough, or wasn't doing something right, I could pick up the book, read a bit, and it would make me feel better about what I WAS doing. The fact is, completing that first triathlon takes courage and confidence, this book helps you gain the confidence if you have the courage to continue.
on January 17, 2001
As the name implies, and the introduction states, this book is for the novice. It is excellent for that purpose. It provides a lot of encouragement and basic advice. If you haven't run a triathlon, this is a great place to start. Other books on triathlon are more technical and may be intimidating. Triathlon 101 should also benefit someone who has tried one or two triathalons and wants to learn how to train smarter. But an experienced person would probably find the content too light.
Triathlon 101 provides minimal details about equipment and technique. Rather it focuses on encouraging and training novices. The recommended training schedules are applicable to all levels but are most detailed for the beginner. The focus is on injury prevention through gradual increases in intensity. The book has many sidebars which chronical stories of people who have over come adversity to move on to become leading ironman triathletes.
on May 4, 2004
I've been running and biking for years, but I wasn't sure I was up to a tri. This book gave me just what I needed to get started. I even picked up some useful tips on biking, which is genereally my strong suit. This is a book I'll go back to again and again. I highly recommend it for the beginning triathlete.
on February 11, 2000
This book is particularly good on the hidden details of novice's triathlon (like equipment, costs and jargon) as well as on what one needs to do to "get up to speed" for performing each particular sport. I think it's a good book for folks that are new to the sport and have a "finish" mentality, as well as someone relatively new that wants to improve up to a decent Olympic distance tri (basically, one-fourth an ironman). It's also good at dispelling the psychological stumbling blocks, if you're somewhat daunted by what can be the intense competitive spirit of some athletes - a very healthy attitude! One drawback is that it was a little light on the art of open-water swimming, which can be pretty important.
on February 2, 2003
I am interested in doing triathlons at some point, and so far have only competed in races as a runner, and am a fair swimmer. I found that this book is extremely encouraging for the person who is considering giving it a 'tri'. The author gives information that is basic, but doesn't "talk down" to the reader, even though he is an experienced triathlete. He also acknowledges the potential expense of getting involved in this sport, and tries to give realistic advice on where money can be saved for the beginner.
This is a perfect book for someone who wants to investigate triathlons. I cannot recommend it highly enough!
on May 28, 2002
This is a great introductory book. After completing one sprint distance triathlon, I read this book. It gives great beginner's training advice from what equipment to buy to how to base train for each event. Everything that you would need to know in order to enter into triathlon training and competition is contained in Triathlon 101. It does seem like it would be too basic for the experienced triathlete, but for a beginner, it is perfect. There is an excellent training schedule for both a sprint and an olympic distance triathlon. There are also blank training log sheets and an appendix for more resources on the sport.
on December 23, 2000
Three years ago, a friend challenged me to enter the Mrs. T's Chicago Triathlon.
Using what I learned in Triathlon 101, I was able to prepare confidently and exceed my finish time goal. Since then, I've competed in several other triathlons, including an Ironman, but continue to refer back to Triathlon 101.
I now have a small Triathlon library but haven't found a single book with as much practical advice.
If you're just getting started, you'll save yourself a lot of time (and probably money) by starting off with Triathlon 101.
Good luck in your races!