When you first listen to The Lonely Island's second album, "Turtleneck & Chain", you might think, "This has got a few good songs, but it's no 'Incredibad'." Well, give it time. As I recall, it took a while before I loved EVERYTHING on Incredibad, and the more I listen to Turtleneck and Chain, the more I fall in love with it. I won't declare that it's JUST AS GOOD as Incredibad, but if it isn't, it's really freakin' close.
Like Incredibad, the CD release of Turtleneck and Chain also comes with a DVD featuring some of the videos for the songs on the album and for some songs that AREN'T on the album for whatever reason. Here's my response to the contents of both:
1. We're Back!: A silly but entertaining opening to the album. Not the best thing here by any means.
2. Mama: Hilarious, though this is more of a comedy skit than a song. Well, it's a song that cuts in and out with interruptions.
3. I Just Had Sex: Similar to "I'm On A Boat" from Incredibad, but not in any sort of negative, retreading way. It's very funny as its own song. I definitely will be playing this after I finally have sex.
4. Jack Sparrow: This song is the jewel of the album. It is HILARIOUS! However, I have to admit that I saw the video before hearing the album, and that adds so much more to the enjoyment of it, I'm sure. Unfortunately, the fantastic video is not included on the DVD! It's an outrageous, much like the way Incredibad lacked the priceless Natalie's Rap and I'm On A Boat videos. However, I'm sure the song "Jack Sparrow" is hilarious even if you haven't seen the video (but look it up on YouTube anyway, the featured performer, Michael Bolton, is HILARIOUS in it).
5. Attracted To Us: Funny stuff. I'm not sure what the message is here exactly, but it's funny.
6. Rocky: Classic, oldschool story-rap, like something from Beastie Boys or Will Smith, ha.
7. My Mic: Funny, brief bit. It's the Bullwinkle impression that makes this one good.
8. Turtleneck & Chain: This one is the title song, yet frankly, it might be my least favorite on the disc.
9. Shy Ronnie 2: Ronnie & Clyde: Okay, this is an interesting one. It's good and Rihanna sounds hot here and all that, but the problem with Shy Ronnie is this: One, this is Shy Ronnie 2, but where's Shy Ronnie 1? Turns out, there's a video for it, so maybe it aired on Saturday Night Live and I missed it, but it wasn't on the previous Album. It's a funny bit, but it shouldn't be on an album, and neither should Shy Ronnie 2. The problem? It requires the video to be funny. Luckily, it IS included on the DVD, but they should have left it off the CD and put something else here, like "We'll Kill You", a sort of sequel to "We Like Sports" from Incredibad.
10. Trouble on Dookie Island: This one is total Beastie Boys style, which is cool, because I love Beastie Boys, ha.
11. Falcor vs. Atreyu: A brief comedy bit for us nostalgic 80's kids.
12. Motherlover: Justin Timberlake comes back for this hilarious Mother's Day themed sequel to "Dick in a Box". This is another of the best songs on the album, and like with Dick in a Box, having seen the video (included) really adds to it, but it's not necessary at all. The song is funny enough on its own.
13. The Creep: This is another of the best songs here, but as with Jack Sparrow, I saw the video before hearing the song, and that probably made it even better, because the video is great. Luckily, this video is included on the DVD.
14. Watch Me Do Me: This brief comedy bit isn't that great, but it's funny that it tricks you into thinking it is going to be another song at first.
15. Threw It On the Ground: This one, in my opinion, works much better as a video only, but if you've seen the video, then it's funny to hear.
16. Japan: The thing that instantly grabs me and pulls me into this hilarious song is the opening, which sounds like one of these guys has got to have seen "Big Bird in Japan" and is doing his impression of the bird himself. It cracks me up and freaks me out too, every time (he sounds exactly like Bird, it HAS to be intentional).
17. After Party: This song is not among the funniest on the album, but it's okay and Santigold really adds to the whole sound of it).
18. No Homo: This one is weird, ha, but pretty funny.
19. No Homo Outro: A brief twist on the same song.
1. We're Back!: Well, like I said, this isn't one of my faves, but having video adds to it a bit.
2. I Just Had Sex: Funny video with some sexy special guests.
3. The Creep: This twisted video for a twisted song is a hilarious feast for the eyes featuring John Waters and Nicki Minaj.
4. Motherlover: This sequel to Dick in a Box is HILARIOUS. Special guest moms in this one.
5. Shy Ronnie 2: Ronnie and Clyde: Works better as a video, I must say.
6. Threw It On the Ground: Likewise here, more special guests too.
7. We'll Kill You: Funny stuff. This is a sequel to "We Like Sports", and it's just as funny in the same way.
8. Reba: Kenan Thompson as Reba makes this weird video pretty hilarious.
9. Great Day: Andy as a cokehead. Funny stuff.
So, that's everything in this two disc release from The Lonely Island. It's a fine follow up to Incredibad, I'd say, with the likes of "Jack Sparrow", "The Creep", "I Just Had Sex", and "Motherlover" all being especially brilliant, and lots of other stuff that'll make you laugh out loud too. The videos are great, though not including "Jack Sparrow" really sucks. At least you'd think the later albums' DVDs would include what was left off the previous ones, but still no sign of "Natalie's Rap" or "I'm on a Boat". I hope a full Lonely Island music videos DVD release will be forthcoming. Really, the Jack Sparrow video is one of the funniest things you'll ever see. Anyway, I highly recommend this island and Incredibad as well if you don't already have it. You don't even have to be a fan of rap, hip hop, techno, or whatever types of music this stuff falls under. The only rap I was ever a fan of was "The Beastie Boys", but this stuff is perfect for someone who likes them, though keep in mind that this is pure comedy. Another epic win for The Lonely Island!