Tuttle Learner's Chinese-English Dictionary Paperback – Jul 15 2005
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Li Dong is an educator with more than 40 years of experience teaching Chinese in China, the UK, USA and New Zealand. He has published numerous articles on Chinese lexicography and is the author of five other Chinese dictionaries published by Tuttle Publishing: Tuttle Beginner's Chinese Dictionary, Tuttle Chinese-English Dictionary, Tuttle English-Chinese Dictionary, Tuttle Concise Chinese Dictionary, and Tuttle Compact Chinese Dictionary.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
And it does have the word to stay (dai1) and to wear (dai4) on my pages 40 (bottom left) and 41 (bottom left) in my 2005 ed.
There are two main advantages for this dictionary: it has the 4,800 most frequently used Chinese vocabulary items, and it covers the Levels A & B of the HSK test. That is the Chinese Standard Proficiency Exam.
Since the Chinese language is not an easy language to just pick up, studying smart is much more beneficial than studying so long and hard. This dictionary helps the learner do just that.
Great job, Professor Li. You have many fans in Canada.
chinese characters are in a font smaller than the
Pinyin words, difficult to see.
using blue coloured characters is pointless and makes them difficult to read
buy a magnifying glasses or a better designed book
I know this is a learner's level dictionary but the first common verb I tried to
reference is not in the book.
(dai1, to stay),
then I thought I will look for (dai4, to wear, to put on)not there,
then (dai1, to stay) not there either.
The introduction is the best part of the book, stroke order, grammar, Pinyin is done much better than most Chinese character and language books.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I would asolutely recommend this book for anyone learning Chinese.
I am the author of the Michel Thomas courses to learn spoken Mandarin. One of my passions is innovative ways to learn and teach languages. What I learned from 10 years with Mr. Thomas has changed my entire attitude toward learning and teaching.
I own several Chinese-English dictionaries. This is my favorite. In its layout, type size, sample sentences ( with pinyin), scope of vocabulary, breakdown of word components ( very helpful in understanding the meaning behind the word and the Chinese mindset) as well as many other features mentioned by other reviewers on this page this text is outstanding.
One feature which I love is the inclusion of traditional characters. Though the simplified characters form the basis of the book wherever the traditional character varies it is listed. Many dictionaries lack this vital resource.
I use this now as my preferred beginner and intermediate level Chinese-English dictionary.
There are two ways to use this:
1) Read it from A-Z, which needs a lot of discipline (it took me 4-5 months). This has the advantage that you can impress (or dumbfound) people by telling them that you're actually reading a dictionary for a bedtime story.
2) Look up new words that come up in your textbook. At a certain level, you will need something like "Cheng & Tsui Chinese-Pinyin- English Dictionary for Learners" (ISBN 0887273165) which has ten times the number of words but is hard to get.
One big flaw in Tuttle's dictioanry is the number of typos (see what I mean?). Sometimes wrong characters are given, but what's really annoying is the constant misspelling in pinyin. I have found up to 8 wrong pronounciations on a double page. A second edition should fix that. All in all, indispensable.
Overall, I am in love with this dictionary.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference > Reading & Writing
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Chinese
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Chinese
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching