- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Understanding Adult Attachment in Family Relationships: Research, Assessment and Intervention Hardcover – Nov 30 2012
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'The Attachment Style Interview is at the heart of Antonia Bifulco and Geraldine Thomas's most welcome book, summarising many years of development, research and practice. The context of their work is based on extensive qualitative and quantitative research, taking a lifespan approach, and tracking experiences back from adulthood to childhood to capture early life experiences, and forward to parenting in the next generation to look at inter-generational transmission of risk for disorder. It complements the increasingly familiar Secure, Anxious, Avoidant and Disorganised models of attachment with the capacity to relate, and provide or seek emotional support. Insights are provided into the key concepts of autonomy, trust, fear and anger in relationships. Attachment Style can be measured and is easy to use in many contexts, in research, in welfare assessments of prospective adopters, in understanding complex family relationships and orientating therapists to work most effectively with the often confusing responses of those seeking help. Just as the Attachment paradigm is recognised to have a central role in understanding human development and the need for security, the Attachment Style provides a powerful guide to assessing and understanding the nature of relationships.
The use of extensive descriptions, and summaries of the authors' research provides an excellent introduction, and the book is highly commended to researchers and practitioners who need to 'Understand Attachments in Adult Relationships.' – Arnon Bentovim, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, Visiting Professor Royal Holloway, University of London, UK.
‘Employing an innovatively nuanced clinical assessment of current adult attachment relationships, the Attachment Style Interview, the authors dramatically advance research by elucidating developmental pathways from childhood adversity to adulthood psychiatric disorder. Their uniquely comprehensive work encompasses diverse social-contextual influences on parenting, resilience, and disorder as they interact with attachment styles. Carefully crafted for a wide readership, this landmark contribution will be an indispensable resource for researchers, therapists, students, and social service personnel involved in child protection, adoption, foster care, and residential treatment.’ – Jon G. Allen, Ph.D., Senior Staff Psychologist, The Menninger Clinic, and Professor of Psychiatry in the Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA.
About the Author
Antonia Bifulco is Professor of Lifespan Psychology and Social Science, Director of Lifespan Research Group, Centre for Abuse and Trauma Studies at Kingston University, London, UK.
Geraldine Thomas is a specialist therapeutic service provider and consultant working in partnership with Early Help Services for Children, Young People and Families and Looked After Children in Kensington and Chelsea, London, UK.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Deals in Books
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Adolescent Psychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Child Psychology > Development
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Child Psychology > Psychology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Counseling > Couples & Family Therapy
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Testing & Measurement
- Books > Medical Books > Allied Health Professions
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Allied Health Professions
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Allied Health Services
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Developmental Psychology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology > Psychotherapy