Who would have ever thought that that square head guy from "In Living Color" would one day win an Oscar, have a hit album, and be one of the hottest things in showbiz. Jamie Foxx is a comedian, actor, singer, and a musician, and he does all of these things with style and skill which is exactly why Mr. Foxx has the right to name his album Unpredictable because that really is what he his. I gave this album five stars because to me Jamie Foxx has one of the most beautiful voices in the music industry, the production is not bad at all, and to tell the truth this 15 track album sounds better then a lot of the garbage that people have been releasing lately. What I like about Jamie is that he brings back that 90's Jodeci, Aaron Hall, Boys 2 Men type feel of music without sounding dated. Although some tracks stand out more then others I really liked all of them except "Extravaganza" I dont know where they were going with that song. But heres my list of each song and its quality.
1) Unpredictable: To tell the truth at first I thought this was just an average song, but the more I heard it on the radio the more I fell in love with this song and Jamies vocals are actually very nice on this track which are further complimented by Ludacris and his rap verse. Very nice track overall.
2) Warm Bed: Collipark produced this track and this sets the album off real nice, the beat is aggressive but nice and soft at the same time. I love the lyrics and Jamie's voice flows very well and smoothe on this track. Top Notch Song.
3) DJ Play A Love Song: This is another great track, I really like the way the beat changes briefly towards the middle of the track, although Twista has a decent verse on this track he really was not needed. Another hot song on Jamies album though.
4) With You: At first I didnt like this song, the beat turned me off, and to be honest I didnt give it a chance. But when you actually get past the awkward beat of the song then it grows on you, and you will end up loving it. The Game and Snoop Dogg also help to make this track worth listening to.
5) Can I Take You Home: Oh My God I love this song! the beat is so smoothe and Jamie really gets his Don Juan on with this song, the lyrics match the smoothe Timbaland beat very well and this is one of the real standout tracks on this album.
6) Love Changes: Now this is an old school love song right here, Jamie and Mary singing together really reminds me of all the soulful singers like Marvin Gaye and Roberta Flack from back in the day. Mary J Blige's voice however gets irritating on some parts because she is stretching her vocals too hard, but this is still a very nice track with a simple and nice beat.
7) Extravaganza: I hate this song! You would think that after Jamie and Kanye made such good songs like Golddigger and Slow Jamz that this would be one of the best tracks but it is actually the worst in my opinion. The beat is very slow and boring, Jamie Foxx doesnt even sound like himself, Kanyes verse is whack, and to be honest the lyrics to the whole song are pointless and whack as well. Sorry Jamie but you lost it here buddy.
8) Three Letter Word: After listening to the horrible track seven, Three Letter Word is heaven to the ears. I love the song, the beat has a real nice romantic feel to it, this is one song you could really set the mood with. There is only one thing I dont like about this song and that is when Jamie Foxx says in the chorus that "sex is stronger then any drug even love", nothing is stronger then Love Jamie, especially not sex.
9) Get This Money: This is another quiet storm song on Jamies album, I noticed by this point of the album that Jamie is still old school when it comes down to it. The drums in the background are real dynamic on this song, the hook is very catchy, and overall this is another great song on the album.
10) VIP: The first thing that you will notice about this track is the very sensual and 70's vibe that the beat has. I really love this song and it is another of the standout tracks on the album. The chorus really sounds a lot like the singer Tank is adding background vocals and it really works for the song. One of my favorite tracks and the lyrics are fun and creative.
11) Do What It Do: I love how assertive Jamie is on this track, he starts the song out strong and very reminiscent of another freaky singer *cough cough* R. Kelly *cough cough*. I really like the song but overall its not really a standout track, but that doesnt mean its not a good one.
12) Storm: Once again Jamie follows the quiet storm role again, this time he plays the role of your romantic weather man, comparing the moistness of a woman to the rain that pours from the sky, the beat flows well, and the weather sounds in the background really add depth to the song. Lovely track.
13) U Still Got It: I love the way that Jamie sings about a subject besides having sex, partying, and being a player. This time around Jamie is singing to his woman who is pregnant with his baby and she doesnt feel sexy anymore and he croons her the whole song letting her know that she still "has it". Common adds a nice verse to the song, and this is one of the nicer tracks on the album.
14) Heaven: I first heard this song as a live performance when Jamie Foxx was featured on the Oprah show. I loved it then, and I love it even more on this album. Jamie plays the piano beautifully, and overall the subject matter is very sweet, and I am sure that many woman will find it romantic that Jamie is singing a love song to his daughter.
15) Wish You Were Here: Anybody who has ever lost anybody can relate to this song, it will no doubt bring tears to your eyes when you listen to the lyrics about Jamie and his grandmother who passed away years ago. The beat is very dynamic but simple at the same time, the chorus has a real nice feel to it, and the lyrics are beautiful. Jamie really shows his vocal talent on this track and people of all ages can really appreciate this song.
We live in a day and time where anyone can get a record deal, come out with a club song produced by Lil Jon and next thing you know they are a celebrity. But few artists are actually deserving of celebrity status. Jamie Foxx to me has paved the way not only for aspiring black entertainers, but for everyone, I give this album and extra star simply because Jamie has broke the barriers and did not allow himself to be confined to just being one thing, which something that everyone can relate to.
Jamie Foxx is a true celebrity and like I said earlier, Jamie has an amazing voice and he always has, even if you listen to the "Bait" soundtrack and listen to a song called "Bed Springs" you can hear that Jamie Foxx has always been a talented singer. Dont be a fool and think that just because Jamie used to play Sha Nay Nay from "In Living Color" that he cant hold down a serious and enjoyable album, becasue thats exactaly what Mr. Foxx does with "Unpredictable"