Usual Suspects, the [Import]
Ever since this convoluted thriller dazzled audiences and critics in 1995 and won an Oscar for Christopher McQuarrie's twisting screenplay, The Usual Suspects has continued to divide movie lovers into opposite camps. While a lot of people take great pleasure from the movie's now-famous central mystery (namely, "Who is Keyser Söze?"), others aren't so easily impressed by a movie that's too enamored of its own cleverness to make much sense. After all, what are we to make of a final scene that renders the entire movie obsolete? Half the fun of The Usual Suspects is the debate it provokes and the sheer pleasure of watching its dynamic cast in action, led (or should we say, mislead) by Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey as the club-footed con man who recounts the saga of enigmatic Hungarian mobster Keyser Söze. Spacey's in a band of thieves that includes Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Pollak, and Benicio Del Toro, all gathered in a plot to steal a large shipment of cocaine. The story is told in flashback as a twisted plot being described by Spacey's character to an investigating detective (Chazz Palmintieri), and The Usual Suspects is enjoyable for the way it keeps the viewer guessing right up to its surprise ending. Whether that ending will enhance or extinguish the pleasure is up to each viewer to decide. Even if it ultimately makes little or no sense at all, this is a funny and fiendish thriller, guaranteed to entertain even its vocal detractors. --Jeff Shannon --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top Customer Reviews
All the acting is terrific and more importantly, the script is nearly flawless as is the direction. The plot moves along in it's multi-threaded fashion while keeping viewers entertained and involved enough to pay attention.
The ending will either annoy or delight you depending on how you view films. I loved it and on second viewing the forshadowing of events are right in front of you like a good murder mystery although The Usual Suspects is much more than a mystery film or buddy flick or crime caper film while being a little bit of each.
It's great to see a film that isn't high budget and relies on acting and a good script to move the film along. Although embraced by hollywood this is as independent as you will find in it's easy tone and believable characters.
There is simply nothing worth complaining about. Get this DVD, it's additonal content is a lot of fun to watch and helps understanding The Usuual Suspects as more than a film but a project and labor of love that works on all fronts.
If you like flash and bikinis and breath-taking camera angles, you won't find them here. Usual Suspects is not an "epic," and it doesn't pretend to be. It's a modestly-budgeted piece by a fresh director (who later went on to do the X-Men movies, a FAR departure).
A great, gritty script, beautifully-acted characters, and what many have called the greatest movie ending of all time, are some of the shining qualities that make the Usual Suspects an object worthy of praise above its humble-looking shell.
The casting is very unusual but somehow fits perfectly. Gabriel Byrne is convincing as the ex-con trying to build a new life when he gets drawn back into his old life. Stephen Baldwin has the role of his career as the smart-mouthed and cocky professional. Kevin Pollak takes a big departure from his usual good comedy self to take a more dramatic role. Benicio del Toro literally takes a one-dimensional character with absolutely nothing in the script to give him character, and he fleshes it out with brilliant mannerisms and memorable mumbling to show incredible acting creativity. Kevin Spacey as we know him was born from this movie. His manners and fast-talking yet shy gimp nature are a treat to listen to throughout the flick.
Without giving away the plot, the best and most genius parts of the movie are the subtleties. After you see the ending, and the truth hits you like a ton of bricks, you have to watch it again. On the second time through, you'll jump up and point at the screen whenever you spot a clue you missed the first time. It's even possible to watch the movie multiple times and see something new with every viewing. It's that attention to detail that make the deceptively innocent-looking Usual Suspects one of the greatest movies of all time.
The video and audio quality is very good on this Blu-ray version.
However, the disc is completely lacking in extras. Not even so much as a directors commentary. If the studio had actually put some effort into this release (commentary, behind the scenes, discussion with the writer, etc.) , I could easily see it getting a 5-star review - the movie is good enough to deserve that kind of effort.
1) I, Robot [Superb Sci Fi Adventure Action so Well done, 2) The Usual Suspects [absolutely Brilliant writing with non stop story line intriguing and amazing yet logical twists & turns], and 3) Max Payne [ a Fascinating film I could only see on my Small Samsung Phone Screen taht I bgt fir Samsung & their not defunct 1st gambit into Video movie D/Ls but could only be played on the darn phone!) and ALL # were jsut over $25 for FREE Shipping then the AMAZON SPECIAL DU JOUR OF $10 OFF from their offering of over ? 4 pages OF FILMS IF YOU BOUGHT 3 super Hi Def. Blue-Rays totaling, delivered only slightly over $18.. Great Films - Great Score. OFF STORY THO: I was in a Dollar Store in THE WEST ISLAND of MTL - with a buddy for a Lunch break and fast specific shopping foray and found 2 movies in their bin They were Blue Rays for only $3.00 each - Small format cases too ( EXACTLY like the cases from Amazon.ca's Blue Rays I received the next day!) Both Amazons and the Dollarma ¿ Store Blue-Rays were just about IDENTICAL - Interesting.... small Blue cases.. VERY Interesting! ;)
I Love Amazons Great Service and their A to Z GOT / WE GOT YOUR BACK Guarantees.
They are super helpful, friendly courteous and Wonderful! They always make sure Things Go Right!
I have almost totally abandoned eBay Shopping (except when something really inconsequential is majorly less expensive)
Thanks Amazon.ca for Being So Excellent! - NO B.S.!
-= K C =-
Most recent customer reviews
Very nice movie. A movie which make you a better man . Really good actor performance and I am recommending to everybody whose like a nice serious and connected to real life... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Dimitar
this is one of my all time favorites. the language is a tad too spicy for my liking but the story line makes up for the coarse language.Published 3 months ago by Pauline Sherwin
Ce film est ennuyant comme la pluie. J'ai arrêté le visionnement après 20 minutes tellement c'était sans intérêt malgré Kevin Spacey. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Philippe Bodson
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Drama
- Movies & TV > En français > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller > Policier et Thriller > Angoisse et Suspense
- Movies & TV > En français > Drame
- Movies & TV > Mystery & Suspense > Crime
- Video > Action & Adventure
- Video > Drama > General
- Video > En français > Divers
- Video > Mystery & Suspense > Crime > Con Artists
- Video > Mystery & Suspense > Mystery
- Video > Mystery & Suspense > Neo-Noir
- Video > Mystery & Suspense > Suspense
- Video > Mystery & Suspense > Thrillers