- Audio Cassette (May 12 1998)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Import
- Label: Almo Sounds
- ASIN: B000006NZW
- Other Editions: Paperback | Audio CD | LP Record
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (514 customer reviews)
Sidelining -- although not totally adbandoning -- their grittier roots was a shrewd choice in the 90s, when a long attention span was hard to find. Garbage is still in all of their glory here -- the insane guitar riffs and acidic lyrics are intact. Here, it's just done better. They take the guitar riffs and skewer them until they're nearly indistinguishable, they take Manson's growl and strecth it out to elastic proportions. Such intense experimentation is usually suicidal -- here, it's more like a steroid shot to an ailing genre. Perhaps the most effective revelation on 2.0 was the full-on implementation of technopop. It's everywhere here -- in between the beats of the punk chorus in "I Think I'm Paranoid," backing the ingeniously distorted guitars of "Push It." Garbage didn't only write the book on crossover alternative pop/rock, they have it memorized and, for all intents and purposes, copywritten.Read more ›
Each song is done in a sort of techno-centered spirit, but is filled with a strong sense of passion...often vitriolic but always gripping.
Some people think they were influenced by the equally amazing band Curve, but Garbage has always made music distinctly in their own spirit.
Songs like "Temptation Waits", "Wicked Ways", "Hammering In My Head", and "When I Grow Up" are only the tip of the ice berg for this spectacular feat.
If you don't have this, I feel sorry for you...
But remember...you can always change that ;)
1.Temptation Waits- I don't really think that this was the best way to start the ablum, I don't think any of these tracks are good openers, except maybe When I Grow Up. The song is really not a gem, but worth listening to.
2. I Think I'm Paranoid- A favorite of mine, I think the way they did the chorus was excellent, it sounds rather angsty.
3. When I Grow Up- This song makes me laugh. It's that funny. It's a good song though.
4. Medication- This song starts off really slow then the chorus is a little faster. It's an interesting song but you can get tired of it after a while.
5. Special- This song was nominated for a Grammy. I've actually grown to like this song a bit better, but it's not a favorite.
6. Hammering In My Head- This song is angst-like. It's an amazing track. Shirley sounds very impressing when, about halfway into the song she breaks into "You should be sleping alone..."
7. Push It- This song starts out really funny, like music you'd hear at a circus. It's really good and has many parts- you'll see what I mean when you hear the song.
8. The Trick Is To Keep Breathing- This song is good but after a while it gets rather dull. It is a depressing song, but it's good.
9. Dumb- This is a really good track, rather unique, but it's not really a track that will get stuck in your head. It's worth a spin.
10. Sleep Together- This song surprised me. Who ever thoguht Garbage would do something so bold? The song is actually quite good, and is a high point in the album.
11.Read more ›