- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Wavelets: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications Hardcover – Nov 18 1994
Special Offers and Product Promotions
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"...this book goes far deeper into this topic than you normally need it for the use in astronomy, but is a very good written textbook that allows you to look ahead on the general topic of wavelet analysis."
--REVIEWS OF ASTRONOMICAL TOOLS
This volume provides an excellent snapshot of the broad activity in wavelet theory.
--MATHEMATICS OF COMPUTATION
From the Back Cover
Wavelets: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications is the fifth volume in the highly respected series, WAVELET ANALYSIS AND ITS APPLICATIONS. This volume shows why wavelet analysis has become a tool of choice infields ranging from image compression, to signal detection and analysis in electrical engineering and geophysics, to analysis of turbulent or intermittent processes.
The twenty-eight contributors convey their enthusiam for wavelets and their potential applications in increasingly diverse fields. The book is organized into seven sharply focused sections, beginning with multiresolution analysis, the most powerful tool for constructing wavelets. Other topics include wavelet transoforms, tools for time-frequenct analysis, wavelets and fractals, numerical methods and algorithms, and applications. Nore than 135 informative figures and a full-color insert to supplement the text.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Orthonormal bases of wavelets and wavelet packets yield linear, non-redundant time-scale and time-frequency decompositions for arbitrary functions and signals. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Chui is a very successful organizer of conferences and has written and edited many books, either alone or with others. This book is well put together and suffers from fewer faults as Chui's earlier book (Vol 2. of this series).
The theoretical papers are more interesting and cover topics not found in Daubechies' famous book: Ten Lectures on Wavelets. Some of the applications address genuine laboratory problems. Image and acoustical digital signal processing are barely touched upon, but it doesn't matter since the publication of Mallat's A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing obviates the need. This book does not contain problems to be assigned for homework, but it can still be used in a course -- perhaps a graduate seminar or a special topics course. Be warned that the book is a bit pricey to use as a supplementary text in a course.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > Sports & Entertainment
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Computer Technology > Imaging Systems
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electricity Principles
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Electrical & Electronics > Electronics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Applied
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Applied
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Infinity
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Mathematical Analysis
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics > Calculus
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Acoustics & Sound
- Books > Science & Math > Technology
- Books > Sports & Outdoors
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics > Calculus