- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"It explains all concepts at a very elementary level, and allows the novice reader (with basic knowledge of programming) to learn fundamental concepts of Web programming and practical Web design. For an experienced reader, it will provide very good overview of Web programming practices form one particular perspective, that of using open-source software tools." (Computing Reviews, November 25, 2008)
From the Back Cover
Learn how to combine different technologies to create sophisticated, database-driven Web sites
This text allows readers to gain the core programming knowledge needed to build a database-driven Web site using a step-by-step approach. Each stage of Web site development is carefully explained, from installation to production of the site. The book, based on a course developed by the author, features a carefully constructed organization that shows readers how to begin creating Web pages, and then incrementally add greater functionality as they progress through the text.
Brief chapters, each focusing on one core theme, are designed to allow readers to learn at their own pace. Among the key chapters is one dedicated to teaching how to install a Web server with all the required modules to run the scripts presented in the book.
- Examples are used extensively throughout, illustrating key concepts and techniques
- Author draws from his own extensive experience to offer expert tips and point out pitfalls to avoid
- Exercises help readers put their knowledge into practice
- The examples, as well as sample solutions to the exercises, are posted online to give readers more opportunity to work with the scripts
With its step-by-step approach, this book is ideally suited for anyone who wants to learn how to create complete Web sites. No previous knowledge of any programming language is needed. For experienced Web designers, the book will bring their programming skills to a higher level by enabling them to create dynamic pages linked to a database.See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
But for a functioning web site he recommends what is sometimes called LAMP - for Linux, Apache, MySql and PHP. To summarize why:
The software is FREE, a very good price.
It doesn't crash as often
It runs faster so you can use a slower computer.
By the time you finish, you'll probably want at least one book on each of these software packages, but here is an excellent place to start. It gives you enough to get started and you only need to go deeper into each of these packages when you start getting fancier. The nice thing about this book is that it gives you everything you need to get started in a well written, easy to understand way.
Mr. Gabarro, there are two things I would suggest for your next edition: One, include a cd of a working collection of the four packages rather than saying go get any distribution, and two, talk a little about past and emerging technologies such as Cold Fusion for the past, and Ruby on Rails for the future. I'd be interested in your opinions.
I've read 20% of the book so far. The main thing I like is the fact there is no fluff in the book. It gives all the basic material needed in a very organized manner. I appreciated the advice on frames. I have avoided using frames because other authors recommend avoiding them, and their instruction on them was very limited as a result. Could it be these other authors were biased towards using tables, or possibly do not fully understand frames? Anyway, I plan to incorporate frames into my future website development, as a result of this book. Thanks Mr. Gabarro!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Specific Databases > MySQL & mSQL
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Linux > Applications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Linux > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Unix
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > Linux Web
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > PHP
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Software Design & Engineering